Fake Rock Thread!

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was going to post this in another thread, but IMNSHO this deserves its own thread. I need a fake rock for hiding a POE-powered-POE switch and perhaps a bunch of other adapters, cables, etc. out by my mailbox, and I am stunned at the price of these. The cheapest at Home Depot is $46, and that same rock at Lowe's is $39, but Lowe's might not have free ship-to-store.

1639779771726.png

Anyone find a better source for a good fake rock?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not bad as things go. They can get a lot more expensive. At least for ones that look decent. I used a couple long ago to hide things for a pond that I have but they weren't all that great. Looked kind of obviously fake next to real rocks. Probably better now but I'd still want to see what they looked like first.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious to see what it looks like. Good idea for a camera hide.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
but they weren't all that great. Looked kind of obviously fake next to real rocks.
But I don't need more than one.
Having many fake rocks might help to 'add' to the illusion.

In fact, you could use one of the rock speakers as a speaker! Now Blue Iris could play audio files out a speaker upon events.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I started to say check Amazon Warehouse. They used to always have some of those rock speakers real cheap and you don't really care if they work. Think I paid like $5 for the set I got once. But the least expensive that I see now is $39. I'm going to have to watch those again with use for a cam in mind. They definitely don't look real but good enough for where I want to put one.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My fake rock has arrived! Yeah, it's sturdier than I would have guessed based on the photos, which is probably why it's $50. I stood on it (235#), and it felt fine. Here's a photo of it from my tiny new little Revotech camera that I might use to detect mailbox-opening:

FakeRock.jpg

There's plenty of room inside for me to cover whatever network stuff I want to stuff in there, and there's enough space around my mailbox post for it to fit.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My fake rock has arrived! Yeah, it's sturdier than I would have guessed based on the photos, which is probably why it's $50. I stood on it (235#), and it felt fine. Here's a photo of it from my tiny new little Revotech camera that I might use to detect mailbox-opening:

View attachment 115997

There's plenty of room inside for me to cover whatever network stuff I want to stuff in there, and there's enough space around my mailbox post for it to fit.
Ah, those mini cameras look familiar...
I got one for a birdhouse.

Is that a 1.8mm lens (180 fisheye?). 16:9 video output for a square image (round lol) is a bit weird...?

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my down the road to do list is putting in a pair of LPR cams down by the street. I have no other option but to put them down there as the house is too far away from the street.

My plan has always been to put them in a fake rock so as to not attract attention and avoid theft/vandalism. I will need a larger rock to accomodate both cams.

I did find DekoRRa when searching for fake rocks. They have tons of options but their prices are higher than other. Lowes has a few on their website.