Fake Paper Plates

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is something similar I catch every now and then.. This guy had two different plates.
If your state only needs one plate on the back, like OK, you can have a second plate on the front as long as it does not have a month and year sticker on it.
I had an OK legal on the back and a Nebraska fake on the front for the football game last year.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh boy - another park job drinking and littering?

You need to get us a live feed LOL

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Printing out fake plates is a waste of time. Just join the non-tax-paying crowds who don't bother to renew their two-and three-year-old registrations and who drive around with no insurance. Long gone are the days that anyone cares. The government will just print more money (or borrow it from China)!

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just started seeing paper/cardboard temporary Plates in MN this year. The 21 day temp yellow paper in the left rear window is finally gone.
And it’s about time! Best part is the new temp plates are in the DVS database nearly immediately and can be queried by the PD just like a regular plate! No more needing the VIN to identify a temp plated vehicle. Crooks used to cut out a chunk of a yellow pages book to stick in the back of their tinted windows. Couldn’t tell it was a fake unless you were right on it!

IMG_7325.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got back from the police office complaining about this, I got told that if HPD see a vehicle with a fake temp tag, they will let the owner know its fake, and confirm the VIN isn't stolen and move on

There is no repercussions, and they will not charge you, arrest you, OR EVEN CONFISCATE THE PLATE, yes, you are free to drive around the street, use tolls, commit crimes, all with a fake license plate. It doesn't even matter.

(Despite the fact its a class B crime that faces up to 180 days jail time)

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother calling the police...

Reaction score
There is no repercussions
It depends, of course. The police can use the fake plate as a reason for a traffic stop. Which in turn potentially gets them someone with an open warrant or they find something else to act upon.

It is a shame that so many jurisdictions are going to selective enforcement of the law. Some places have stated they will not prosecute certain crimes. All under the excuse that they are 'not violent' or 'due to overcrowding', etc. If the law is wrong, change it. If the law is not equitable, change it. It is the Legislator's responsibility to make the laws. The police and prosecutors job is to enforce, not make , laws.

BeerNut

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Saw thread for paper plates. Was wondering if it was Texas or maybe even Houston. Living in Houston, paper plates are everywhere...

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got back from the police office complaining about this, I got told that if HPD see a vehicle with a fake temp tag, they will let the owner know its fake, and confirm the VIN isn't stolen and move on

There is no repercussions, and they will not charge you, arrest you, OR EVEN CONFISCATE THE PLATE, yes, you are free to drive around the street, use tolls, commit crimes, all with a fake license plate. It doesn't even matter.

(Despite the fact its a class B crime that faces up to 180 days jail time)

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother calling the police...
Here in California, it's unfortunately too common to see these infractions and misdemeanors being carried out with impunity:
  • Non-registered plates with one, two and three year old stickers on them
  • Being non-registered, they are also being driven by uninsured motorists
  • Plates with their reflective coatings scraped off
  • Highly tinted and opaque windows
  • Putzes driving in the HOV lane where they don't belong
There was even a Ring video posted recently from a neighbor living on a cul de sac, showing a car driving in and throwing litter out through the gaping hole where a windshield used to be, before driving off. To the prosecutor's and politician's credit, the video was recorded at night, which is probably when the litterer only drives it.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a way going around to remove the reflective coating by spraying something on the plate, then rubbing/washing it off. I don't remember what they used. Maybe lie? Muratic acid?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a way going around to remove the reflective coating by spraying something on the plate, then rubbing/washing it off. I don't remember what they used. Maybe lie? Muratic acid?
Here is California it's about a $1100 fine to purposely obscure a plate from LPR, but there's a market for various products which removes the reflective coating. Just as window tinters are willing to sell and install opaque films but tell their customers it's on them if they are caught.