EZViz NVR setup without a monitor

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Edit: Well, you can't set this thing up without a monitor. Once I did, and entered the password I set with SADP, I suddenly could get a video feed from the local LAN. However it only works in EZViz, not ivm 4200, and the password used for the NVR isn't accepted from the ivms4200 software.
It won't add my old R0 camera, which is a pain. The cameras themselves aren't addable to anything as far as I can tell as I don't know the admin password- so no setting up OVINF streams.

This has been a bit frustrating and I hope to share my experience with anyone else getting in on the EZViz 4 cam/nvr for 200$ deal.

First, attach the NVR to your network. It'll grab an IP, but nothing else works.

Then run SADP. Find your NVR. It'll say "Not Activated". Create a password, type it twice, and make sure its written down somewhere.

Now uncheck 'hik-connect' option, and shut down SADP (note, this step took almost an hour).

When you start it back up and try to check 'hikconnect' with the afore mentioned password, you'll get a notice that you have to create a verification code. So yeah, that bloody code you can't find anywhere? Right there. Create it, write it down.

Now download the EZViz app. Create a user and login, then log into your account. Select 'add' and then the upper right corner to get to the 'serial number entry' instead of QR code (Because there's no QR code on your NVR. Copy the 9 digit serial from the SADP app (or look under the NVR).

You'll see the item on your network, click add, then 'enter the device verification code' that you just set up.

NOW download the HikVision windows application. Install it.

The key here is to 'go online' and not search for your hardware locally. Otherwise you'll never get it in (and I still haven't figure out what the name of the user is).
Once you're 'online' your device will pop up and you'll be able to see it, and using the passwords and verification codes be able to add it.

From here... I don't know. I want to shut down the hikconnect but man oh man have they made this practically impossible to. I already hate this NVR and I've not even gotten started.

Good luck.

Update: 7/31/19-
With the published help @alastairstevenson and @Pjlord , I successfully used the Trojan Horse password grab utilizing an R0 camera set to firmware 5.4.0 . Interestingly enough, the spot I thought the password was - admin/12345 - isn't accepted. It is still in there, but I haven't figured out for what.

The password I recovered was the one that is used to work with the 4k cams, what appear as
DS-2CDVT-FCMPT-S and CS-CV110-A1-68R .

However I still can not add them via ivms, or by ezviz software, without going through the NVR and EzViz. Of course the NAND chip on the board is going to take some effort to get off and I don't have a parallel reader. Lovely :)

I'll have photos and start a thread for the camera soon. Ideas on using tftp to attack the device would be welcome.

Last edited:

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why we generally prefer Blue Iris on an inexpensive off-lease x64 computer.
Mate, if Blue Iris could find these cameras, which it hasn't as of yet, I'd be all over it. I'll give it another go- but SADP won't show the cameras either.

(and I am grateful for the feedback- just frustrated)

Actually, SADP showed me the version short, and MAC, but that was it.
CS-CV110-A1

Last edited:

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@VorlonFrog I believe i owe you an apology- or at least an update. Your statement is true- I couldn't do it though.
Blue Iris CAN see the cameras IF you know the password. However that's not available. Using the trojan horse R0 camera trick, I got it in. Unfortunately I didn't realize there was additional password information, and so I became locked out of my own camera (haha). Eventually I found another section that had another password- and that did indeed work with blue-iris.

Unfortunately, I still can't get in and no webservice- and if it's running a restricted shell (as others) then i'm in for a significant fight.
I might be able to have them wired to the NVR, set up all the motion and stuff, but then I'll have the same problems if I want to move them off. Frankly the EZViz nvr is a PITA, and I'd rather see if I can flash it to something else. I haven't taken it apart yet, but that'll be soon.

Is there an index or site of photos/teardowns of the devices?

Pathogen

n3wb
Reaction score
When I enter into the deep camera settings for mine using the ezviz windows app, there is a drop down list of the different protocols the camera should be set to, the default one being 'ezviz' or something like that, but it you change it to any of the standard ones, they don't seem to work. I was able to switch the camera from TCP to UDP which may have made things a bit snappier.

I was thinking after all the web cam hacking stories HKV made these cameras very secure. I do admit that I have not attempted to contact ezviz to find passwords for my cameras. I did call them once about frame-dropping but forgot to ask about that. Life keeps interfering!

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Pathogen do you mean the ezvisstudio app? If I click on the camera, I get a 'hasn't been added'- I can't even get to a point to add a password.
They're not so much as secure, as they're just preventing anything from being done. I'm sure once I figure out what type of camera and firmware it'll go by the wayside too.

Pathogen

n3wb
Reaction score
@Purduephotog yep that one, yes nothing that I want to use in the main program works for me in this program, except the nvr does show up as a device and then I can click some advanced button at that point and it brings up the big 'secret' settings panels with endless options that are certain to confuse even the most hardened novice!

I recall you have to make an edit to a .ini file to get that button to appear in the GUI, instructions I think are on some random hkv site, possibly this is that
How to visit the “Advanced Setting” of Ezviz Studio?

1. Go to the root directory of Ezviz Studio in your PC and find the folder named “config”.
2. Copy the file named “AppConfig.ini” in the folder of “config” to desktop. Open “AppConfig.ini” in desktop
3. Add the following command which highlighted in yellow in “AppConfig.ini” and save before exiting.
[LocalOperation]
Show=1
4. Copy the “AppConfig.ini” file in desktop to folder of “config” and overlay the old one. Refresh the device page in Ezviz Studio or reopen the Studio, then you will see the “Advanced”.

5. If you want to hide the “Advanced” setting, please change the command “Show=1” to “Show=0”, then reopen the EZVIZ studio.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Pathogen , can you screen shot that for me? I've got no options- unless I"m just not seeing them (which, given my level of frustration, is entirely possible).

Thank you!

Pathogen

n3wb
Reaction score
@Pathogen , can you screen shot that for me? I've got no options- unless I"m just not seeing them (which, given my level of frustration, is entirely possible).

Thank you!
This? I thik the /.ini edit may not be needed on the new versions of studio, not certain though.