EZViz cloud alternatives?

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are cloud storage alternatives for HikVision cameras to EZViz?

- In one house, I have HikVision cameras and an NVR. In my current location I only have a camera (Just for testing - for the moment). Is it true that you can't use EZVis cloud storage without an NVR? EZVis sees my camera and can stream it, but says there is no device to add for cloud storage.

- In another overseas location I want to have video stored in the cloud, because even though I will have an NVR there, the DSL connection is very slow. Is the video actually uploaded to the cloud rather than streamed back via my NVR, which would defeat the purpose of cloud storage?

- The EZVis site says "High speed internet connection required", but not more detail is needed. I wonder whether the cloud storage will work if the upload speed is slow (400kbps).

- I have configured it with my HikVision DS-2CD2732F-I. There is one toggle for motion detection, no customization beyond that. When a car drives by the website raises an alarm that never includes the car. Maybe delay problems I guess.

- I'd rather not have to install software on my PC just to use a cloud service. You have to for EZVis and it doesn't work on Linux. I have to use a VM with Windows to use it. Very primative.

(In general, HikVision is crap when it comes to their web viewing software. Requiring WebComponents, which is a non mainstream approach and almost impossible to get working on Linux, although I see now they have allowed VNC for live view, which is progress, but still only WebComponents in playback, so you still need Windows. And if you have continuous recording, you can't search playback for any motion detection because the solid blue line of continuous recording overwrites the periodic red line that indicates motion. So, so many problems with remote viewing applications with HikVision.)

I love HikVision cameras. Their NVR's are so so (The software is archaic, but better to stick with the same brand for cameras & NVRs). I'm going to buy a Hik system today and flying overseas to install it in a week. I'd like to find a cloud solution that gets around my low DSL upload speed problem.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cloud Video Monitoring for Homes & Small Business | Camcloud

I tried camcloud it didn't work well with slow DSL.

I don't think you will find a good solution with slow internet however.

I think the 7680NI-I2 has transcoded playback so you can playback with slow internet. That would be your best option.

Or in Australia for some clients we can install 3/4G internet to speed up playback making sure your ISP has the ability to have a public IP address on their 4G network not a private NAT'd network. Or using ezviz via 4G can work better than DSL.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the 7680NI-I2? In another installation, I have the DS-7608NI-E2/8P, which is the 8 POE port NVR. Hikvision USA

The DSL upload in that installation is a bit better. About 600kbps. When I have the cameras there recording at 720p and 25fps, I can watch live or playback at reasonable smoothness. If I reduced it to 8fps, which is what I am learning is all that is needed, it would probably be pretty smooth.

In the first location, I got DSL because GSM coverage was pretty patchy. You're right, in many cases in Australia, GSM, amazingly, has better performance than DSL. I built a custom GSM camera solution, solar powered, up a telephone pole at another location out on a farm in Victoria and the unobstructed line of sight GSM throughput to a nearby tower is awesome. Way better than DSL. Unfortunately it will be years before the NBN gets to where I need it. The house is at the end of a peninsula and therefore low priority.

I might just see how I go connecting directly to the NVR and reviewing footage that way. I agree as you suspect that a direct upload from the cameras to the cloud is unlikely to work well with such low upload bandwidth.