External access to "webstream"

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Without using Webcam settings, since I have a permanent host name ("keep alive"), e.g., hostexample.ddns.net that maps to my Comcast IP address, how can I access the UI3 and/or a specific camera? Of course with a username + password as well. Not sure what the URL would be in that case. Thanks!!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By "external access" if you mean remote access to the BI server (from outside your LAN), you'd need to either port forward a WAN request to the BI server's LAN IP (NOT recommended) or set up a VPN on your router (recommended) and that is NOT a VPN service.

Read more here ==>> OpenVPN on a Asus router

and here ==>> VPN Primer for Noobs

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t want access to the server. Just to the stream of a camera near my bird feeder to share with friends.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t want access to the server. Just to the stream of a camera near my bird feeder to share with friends.
Same options apply:
  • Port forward (not recommended)
  • VPN on router (recommended)
FWIW, sharing with friends is easier with BI....with a user login you can limit to a specific cam or groups, length and time-of-day of access, bandwidth, etc.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I already have a VPN set up. But I would prefer for them not to have to log into Blue Iris or to the VPN to see the WebCam. I thought there would be just a simple URL with a username and password they could use so that they could see the WebCam on their browser.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already have a VPN set up.
What kind or name?

I thought there would be just a simple URL with a username and password they could use so that they could see the WebCam on their browser.
Likely you could access with a simple URL by port forwarding BUT...... your cam AND the LAN it's on would be exposed to the Internet. And it's not the fact some unauthorized or undesirable person can see your bird feeder; it's the possibility of them hacking into the cam, setting up a bot and implementing DoS attacks and/or getting into your home network to wreak havoc.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The VPN I have is done via my Unifi Router - super easy and secure. I'll look into the twitch thing.
Thanks.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So... I set up a Twitch account. I have the stream URL (rtmp:/jfk.contribute.live-video.net/app/ SECRET KEY) and I put that into Webcast settings in BI. Added my username and password. Still no luck seeing a stream. Help?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you're thinking now "Live streaming" to YT or Twitch, not wanting "external access to webcam" or able to "access the UI3"?

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I'd love to do the initial plan. But it sounds like my friend outside my network would need to login to my VPN and can't just access a URL with user/password in the URL string.
Hence I guess Twitch is Plan B. But I prefer the URL idea, without opening ports.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Added - I want to basically just share a URL string with friends who would like to see birds at my bird feeder. Without giving them full login to my VPN.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Added - I want to basically just share a URL string with friends who would like to see birds at my bird feeder. Without giving them full login to my VPN.
Then I'd say a live stream to YT or Twitch is the answer.......as long as you can get BI or your cam to do it AND you can afford the upload bandwidth and data.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I finally got Twitch to work, and I may do YT just to test.
However, either way, can I stream automatically only upon a Trigger? Not all the time?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I finally got Twitch to work, and I may do YT just to test.
However, either way, can I stream automatically only upon a Trigger? Not all the time?
I would doubt it. And that would not be interesting to your audience. How would they know when you are streaming or not.

Please share how you ultimately set it up to work on twitch for future readers.

Last edited:

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OKay for Twitch it was easy. I had to find the server address - some suggested here (Twitch Streamers - Twitch Ingest Recommendation)
and then I had to copy/paste the secret stream key. And place that in the Flash section of the Webcast tab on Camera settings. No username/password needed. And the streaming works.

But when I try the same for YouTube, I get nothing on the YouTube channel. Any suggestions please?