Existing Coax with bnc baluns, what to do with it

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
So my current analog cctv system is currently wired up with coax cable that has the bnc baluns at each end but the cable also has the 12v power terminators at each end on the same coax cable.

I've bought an nvr and ip camera to start the upgrade process but before it get's delivered i need to decide if i replace the coax with ethernet (in other words use the existing cabling to pull through new cable) or use some sort of convert to convert the coax cable to rj45.

Is there something on the market that will allow me to use the existing coax and connect it to an ip camera?

And if so what sort of bandwidth would the coax offer for an ip camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've bought an nvr and ip camera to start the upgrade process but before it get's delivered i need to decide if i replace the coax with ethernet (in other words use the existing cabling to pull through new cable) or use some sort of convert to convert the coax cable to rj45.

Is there something on the market that will allow me to use the existing coax and connect it to an ip camera?

And if so what sort of bandwidth would the coax offer for an ip camera?
It's tempting to try and utilize the existing 'siamese' cable (as shown by your link) but I would avoid it. Not only would an adapter for each camera cost about half that of a decent cam, I think your biggest concern on longer runs would be voltage drop, possibly even more than bandwidth and interference issues.

I would definitely use the existing to pull in a good quality CAT-5e or 6. Buy solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), get CMP or CMR-rated cable. Pull it through, then terminate each end as T-568B as ==>> here in post #12.
Many forum members recommend monoprice ==>> here.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Janastas,

If you want IP cameras you should replace the cable as TonyR states.

Also, if it is cheap coax CCA cable you should replace it even if using analog BNC cameras imho.