Ethernet POE samsung DVR not recognizing hard drive, switch to a BNC?

Reaction score
Hello everyone:
I have a rather dated system It's samsung POE, uses ethernet wires for each camera. I have 5/8 connected. My 1T hard drive apparently ran out of space. I did get it to format but it now says "no hdd installed." I have actually got it to recognize the seagate hard drive since the format but only for a few minutes. I assume it's the dvr and not the harddrive because i also connected a 2T external hard drive that is only recognized when the internal is recognized. If I could fix the samsung dvr, I would be all for it, but my issue is that when looking at replacements, everything is bnc. Is there a switch or convertor that i can use to hook into a bnc dvr. I found "convertors" on the internet, I just wanted to check here so I could get some solid suggestions and hoping you guys will give me some options.
TIA:)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why in the world do you want to go backwards. There are a plethora of ip nvr options.

Reaction score
I want to keep my POE cabling but the dvr's that I am looking at are all bnc. The dvr that I have now has 16 ethernet plugs but it's going belly up. How can I keep the wiring I have now and use a dvr with bnc connectors? or I need an affordable solution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to keep my POE cabling but the dvr's that I am looking at are all bnc. The dvr that I have now has 16 ethernet plugs but it's going belly up. How can I keep the wiring I have now and use a dvr with bnc connectors? or I need an affordable solution.
Your problem is that you are searching for a DVR but what you need is an NVR. Why in the world would you want to go backwards.

Reaction score
Can i use dvr w/bnc
Your problem is that you are searching for a DVR but what you need is an NVR. Why in the world would you want to go backwards.
I dont really have it "nvr" I have it hooked into my tv. It's not on my network. I really don't want to change anything except the dvr/nvr(and add a switch, if necessary. Can I hook up an Nvr to the tv via hdmi or rca or is it a "network" having to use a router. I apologize for my ignorance to all of this. Thanks for your help-I only know what I have done in my personal experience which isn't a lot.
Let em ask this if i had a dvr with bnc channels and wanted to run it with ethernet poe cables to ethernet poe cams, how could i do it? Do all nvr's have ethernet plugs for each channel?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can i use dvr w/bnc

I dont really have it "nvr" I have it hooked into my tv. It's not on my network. I really don't want to change anything except the dvr/nvr(and add a switch, if necessary. Can I hook up an Nvr to the tv via hdmi or rca or is it a "network" having to use a router. I apologize for my ignorance to all of this. Thanks for your help-I only know what I have done in my personal experience which isn't a lot.
Let em ask this if i had a dvr with bnc channels and wanted to run it with ethernet poe cables to ethernet poe cams, how could i do it? Do all nvr's have ethernet plugs for each channel?
you need to start reading and understanding what you are talking about. of course you can plug an NVR into your tv via hdmi.
what is the EXACT model of your current dvr or nvr. Some systems while using ethernet cable are actually analog.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks like the DVR unit itself is IP capable but the cams are not standard IP POE and use the UTP/ethernet just for power and transmission of composite video. I am not familiar with those type of systems therefore I cannot recommend a direct replacement. Depending on your budget, you may want to dump it all together and upgrade to a newer true POE and IP based NVR/cameras.

Reaction score
Looks like the DVR unit itself is IP capable but the cams are not standard IP POE and use the UTP/ethernet just for power and transmission of composite video. I am not familiar with those type of systems therefore I cannot recommend a direct replacement. Depending on your budget, you may want to dump it all together and upgrade to a newer true POE and IP based NVR/cameras.
Hopefully the brighter side is my wiring is already in place. Thank you.

Reaction score
Will my standard cameras connected with poe ethernet cabling work with an nvr ? I would like to dump/replace ....budget is my issue.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Will my standard cameras connected with poe ethernet cabling work with an nvr ? I would like to dump/replace ....budget is my issue.
No, I do not think your current cameras are compatible because they are not IP or true POE. Your existing ethernet cabling itself may work if its CAT5/e and the RJ45 ends are wired the same straight through to each end.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to the User Manual specs here, the camera is 12VDC over the Cat-5, so it's not standard POE (802.3af).
It's also a dismal 520TVL resolution (680 x 512).

The DVR can host up to 16 cameras but as stated also by @OICU2 , it's composite video (analog) over the CAT-5.
It too has dismal resolution, 704 x 480.

I would not waste time or money on it, you'll be very disappointed with the results.

As stated by @fenderman, if your existing cables are wired to T-568B spec on BOTH ends, you've got a good head start. I'd test them with a cheap tester like this to confirm the visual inspection.

RJ45-Pinout-T568B_med.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
According to the User Manual specs here, the camera is 12VDC over the Cat-5, so it's not standard POE (802.3af).

The DVR can host up to 16 cameras but as stated also by @OICU2 , it's composite video (analog) over the CAT-5.

I would not waste time or money on it, you'll be very disappointed with the results.

As stated by @fenderman, if your existing cables are wired to T-568B spec on BOTH ends, you've got a good head start. I'd test them with a cheap tester like this to confirm the visual inspection.

View attachment 71210
Thanks for the diagram and the clarification. When recording video, I have to split the quality between the cams....so next I will look at what's for sale on here. It's either that or go to Sam's club. Thanks everyone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram and the clarification. When recording video, I have to split the quality between the cams....so next I will look at what's for sale on here. It's either that or go to Sam's club. Thanks everyone.
Be sure to read the Wiki up at the top and pay special attention to the Cliff Notes; you'll gain valuable insight!

One more thing: insure those existing cables are solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) with a jacket rated for the purpose (example: if in wall, crawl space, attic and/or between floors, use at least a CMR-rated jacket).

Reaction score
Be sure to read the Wiki up at the top and pay special attention to the Cliff Notes; you'll gain valuable insight!

One more thing: insure those existing cables are solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) with a jacket rated for the purpose (example: if in wall, crawl space, attic and/or between floors, use at least a CMR-rated jacket).

View attachment 71210
My cables have the first five wires only. At least I can use them to help fish the new ones through...