Ethernet cable tester replacement recommendation

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ethernet cable tester replacement recommendation

I recently discovered that my old reliable 15-year-old 468 cable tester does not survive connection to PoE (50VDC). The transmitter died (smoked) by the time I got out of the attic and back up the ladder. Sad, but my own lazy fault. I could simply replace it, but it is not cheap and seems like old technology. Does anyone who does a lot of wiring have other product recommendations or should I stay with this part for confirming 568A/B wiring integrity?

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I think by definition here, it is broke, although it did work well before i broke it? do you use it? it was popular back in the day. My thought is a lot of days have gone by since i did that sort of thing, and since i broke this one, perhaps for $150 or less, there is a better option today. Based on his tag line, @nayr seems to do a lot of work in this field.

Those sub $20 choices might even do the trick, or perhaps the Klein Tools VDV501-823 VDV Scout Pro 2 Tester Kit
or one of its cousins. or maybe this other greenly product: Greenlee NC-100 NETcat Micro Digital Voice, Data and Video Wiring Tester - Multi Testers - Amazon.com

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Fluke's I have access too in the datacenter cost like a grand a piece and they require me to put down my first born as a deposit when I check it out from the tool cabinet.

here's there most basic model with a built in tone generator: Fluke Networks MT-8200-49A Network Cable Tester: Network Cable Tester: Amazon.com: Office Products
but really that dont do much more than a cheap-o continuity tester since its not pushing any data across the lines.. but tone generators can save you alot of time if your trying to locate a wire.