Epoe trench 750ft long

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installing a camera and IR light at the outer driveway gate. Dug a shallow 750 ft trench by hand all the way out. Staying home mostly cause of the pandemic..also couldn't see renting a trencher for a 5"deep trench. Running 14 gauge 2 wire for IR light, with a variable power supply where I can adjust it for 12V on the other end. I'm 63 yrs old..

Attachments

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice work! You sure know how to have a good time in quarantine! How long did it take you?

Would love to see photos of the rest of the process and completed install when you’re done.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
From the pictures I'm thinking you use a narrow trenching shovel like I do. I wore the first one out in that the blade got a few inches shorter from the abrasiveness of hard, sandy soil. My trenches are all about 14" deep with 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 conduit in the bottom. Excellent idea to run the heaver wire for the lights. FYI, of a batch of 4 different brands of IR illuminators I tested, they were all constant power devices in the range of 11 to 13 volts.

Reaction score
Installing a camera and IR light at the outer driveway gate. Dug a shallow 750 ft trench by hand all the way out. Staying home mostly cause of the pandemic..also couldn't see renting a trencher for a 5"deep trench. Running 14 gauge 2 wire for IR light, with a variable power supply where I can adjust it for 12V on the other end. I'm 63 yrs old..
Good work, but i have bad news! Per county code 19-9-187-54, that trench needs to be dug again 3" from the one you have already dug. As any trench hand dug must be 5 feet from the roadway. And the first trench must be filled in with the dirt dug from the second trench. LOL Just kidding. That's a good work out. Thanks for the pics. Can't wait to see the setup when it's done. Good Luck!

BRDawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Ethernet over copper is only rated to about 320 total. It will run further even out of the that spec, but 750' is quite a stretch. This will likely not work for a reliable network connection.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
ricey if you're buying a 1000ft
I agree with this Thank you ! @bp2008 So I was thinking may be 2-3 cables on each drop will be enough. But in Designing phase As I always love to over kill I did 6-7 :) And someplace even 8 and I now am looking at my system and think should had done more I ran total of 5 1000 ft spool that is 5000 ft of cat6 :) :)

haha so yes extra cables are always nice :D

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BRDawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Seeing you are running extra out there... You might have to put in a Booster of some sort about half way. This is to keep the (Cat 6) Signal strong enough to not be dropping out all the time. or just do this type on both ends

Just an example :
Pricey but there are other choices out there.
That is not a booster but a Ethernet to VDSL converter. It does not appear to have to POE capabilities so it looks like you would not be able to power a camera over it and you would need power for the box on the far end.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BRDawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Shouldn't be for epoe, supposedly good for over 2600'.
I am not familiar with ePOE. It is not an open standard. I presumed you were speaking of regular POE. EPOE appears to be a proprietary technology used by Dahua so if that is what you are using, that might actaully work for your needs.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Bryan, are you in an area that sees a lot of thunderstom activity? Even if it works relaibly, running an ethernat that far may well expose connected devices to serious charge potential and possible damage. other options would be fiber or a dedicated wireless link. you still need power, of course, but at least your switch/network would be isolated...

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice work! You sure know how to have a good time in quarantine! How long did it take you?

Would love to see photos of the rest of the process and completed install when you’re done.
Took a few weeks but never could work on it on consecutive days. Either weather or something else would come up. I could get about 50 ft a day once I got away from the house . Near the house was a hardpack clay dome. In the SC sandhills it's mostly topsoil (placed) and sand.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From the pictures I'm thinking you use a narrow trenching shovel like I do. I wore the first one out in that the blade got a few inches shorter from the abrasiveness of hard, sandy soil. My trenches are all about 14" deep with 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 conduit in the bottom. Excellent idea to run the heaver wire for the lights. FYI, of a batch of 4 different brands of IR illuminators I tested, they were all constant power devices in the range of 11 to 13 volts.
I was using a mattock and a shovel. Was trying to go below mole level below the topsoil. Used a string, struck a deep line along it with the mattock, then went along the opposite side with a shovel, standing on it parallel to line. Then I used the mattock to cut it into sections, and went back digging sections out with mattock, and then deepening it with mattock. Since I was running across 2 pond dams I didn't want to go to deep. The voltage drop on the 14 awg was enormous. will take about 18V to get 12V at the end. Couldn't afford 1000ft of 12 awg.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you run multiple network cables out there. I know it can get a bit pricey if you're buying a 1000ft spool for each run but it will be worth it in the long run I think :)
Yeah I know..was my first thought but just couldn't afford to do it. I own the land and it's my driveway. I'm the only one doing any work on it so thought I'd risk it. Only thing I'm worried about is moles and anything that digs.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree with this Thank you ! @bp2008 So I was thinking may be 2-3 cables on each drop will be enough. But in Designing phase As I always love to over kill I did 6-7 :) And someplace even 8 and I now am looking at my system and think should had done more I ran total of 5 1000 ft spool that is 5000 ft of cat6 :) :)

haha so yes extra cables are always nice :D
My design consultant (the wife), wouldn't let me do it. ;)

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bryan, are you in an area that sees a lot of thunderstom activity? Even if it works relaibly, running an ethernat that far may well expose connected devices to serious charge potential and possible damage. other options would be fiber or a dedicated wireless link. you still need power, of course, but at least your switch/network would be isolated...
About the only protection I have is that I shut the system down every time a storm comes up. Could also unplug the Cat6 from the EPOE switch near the NVR when I shut the system down. Thanks..:)

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great job.
Next, you need to start on the irrigation system you always wanted, one zone at a time like I did. :cool: