EmpireTech NVR5208-8P-4KS2E software

otanittep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been lurking/reading up here at ipcamtalk for a couple of weeks now. Thinking of pulling the trigger on the EmpireTech NVR5208-8P-4KS2E NVR and a few of the EmpireTech 4K cameras. My question for now really is on the software on the NVR. I think I'm understanding that these are rebranded or unbranded Dahua products? So what software, if any, comes pre-installed on the NVR? And utlimately, I'd like to find some kind of mini review at least to see what I'd be working with. For example, is it similar to Hikvision's nvr software? Thanks for any help! And thanks for all the useful information here in general. I've learned more about camera's the last two weeks than I have my entire life. lol

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s the same part number Dahua uses. Andy’s equipment us all authentic Dahua. Basically the same as HiK recorders, different interface and firmware. So functionally not any huge difference, but visually the UI is unique to the manufacturer.

Here’s a PSA I did a few years ago that might be be helpful.

Basically after initial setup, use a web browser on your pc to manage the NVR and install SmartPSS to make live viewing, playback, and downloading clips much easier.

Lots of videos on Youtube

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a an fyi, if you feel you only need a 8ch nvr, buy the 16ch version, it's only roughly $40 more, and then you will have all the room you need to grow with more cameras.
You want to keep the brand of cameras the same as the brand of NVR for everything to work the best together.

otanittep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sweet! Great info! That PSA is the bomb!

So, if I understand correctly, the NVR just runs some kind of generic linux software, and I would install SmartPSS on my PC? Or am I installing SmartPSS on the NVR? Basically, I would be connected the DVR to a bigscreen TV via HDMI. This will be on all the time and is specifically for viewing my cameras. That's why I was kind of wondering how the NVR software was (i.e., if it has some basic functions like setting up different layouts, etc.). And then I'd want to be able to view them from my phone and maybe even my PC when I'm working in another room. So if I'm following here: the NVR runs linux with a basic graphical interface, I'd install SmartPSS on my PC for viewing there if I want, and what about on my iPhone (DMSS?)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every NVR comes with its own firmware that is manufacturer specific. You can't just find some generic software and add it to an NVR.

There is nothing to install on the NVR, well except for adding the cameras to it LOL.

Yes you can install SmartPSS on the PC or simply open up the NVR GUI from a web browser. You would download DMSS to your phone.

otanittep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah ok that makes sense now. I've been checking out some the links mentioned and searching using the terms mentioned and it's much clearer now. I'm actually fairly tech savvy despite how it might seem. lol But info is hard to find sometimes when it comes to these camera systems that aren't generally marketed at the general public. But it all makes much more sense now. I'm going to order an NVR and a camera for now just to start playing. I need to think about getting the 16ch as looney mentioned, but I have a few weeks until we move into the new place where this setup will be going. So this will give me time to get started and get somewhat familiar. Thanks all!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely get the 16channel. It is rare that we don't add more cameras.

16 sound like a lot, but it really isn't once you start learning more about these and their strengths and limitations.

I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

So then we start adding cameras to be able to IDENTIFY.

otanittep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one thing I learned by reading all the awesome info on this site the last couple of weeks. Totally had no idea what I was doing. Thought 4k was the bomb, period. Had no idea about sensor size, field of view, etc. But with everything I've learned here, thanks to you guys, I'm going with these (EmpireTech 4K Full-Color Ultra Low Light 8MP Smart AI Starlight Turret IP Camera 1/1.2" CMOS,Build-in Warm LED, Built-in Mic,SMD 3.0,PoE and ePoE,IPC-Color4K-T 3.6mm) all the way around. My house is rectangular shape. So I'm going to go with two on the front (with each having about 88 degree field of view to give me a total of about 180), two at the rear (same), one on the side where the cards are parked (88 degree fov will be plenty to cover the driveway where the cars are parked), and leave other other side blank for now. That, based on my reading here, should give me good coverage to at least be able to see something going on, but also be able to identify anyone who gets within 15' of my house (front, back, or near my cars, which will have the front bumpers about 6' from the house). I will also install lighting on all sides of the house. Does this all jive for the most part? lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a great camera, but rarely does having all of the cameras being the same result in the best performance.

Sounds like you will have some light, so that definitely is a plus. Too many buy a full-color type camera expecting it to see in pitch black conditions, but all cameras need light, either visible or infrared. Full-color cameras do not see infrared, so then people are stuck with a great camera that doesn't work for them.

It sounds like you are starting out buying one camera and that is great. Buy one and test it day and night at each proposed location. And try to get someone you don't know well walk around and see if you can IDENTIFY them at the distances they are at.

It is way too easy to be fooled into thinking we have great captures when we playback ourselves walking around and are like "yep I can tell that is me"!

otanittep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With all that being said, if any of you guys that started out with an 8 and later moved up to a 16 or 32, but still have a good 8 channel laying around, maybe we can make a deal? Lol Please forgive me if this goes against etiquette here as I’m kind of gathering this site/forum is to sell/support EmpireTech. FYI, my goal is to start with 5 of this 4K cameras and maybe add a 6th later. I can see maybe adding a ptz to the front and rear way down the road. But I’m already waayyy past what I really wanted to spend just on this setup (but absolutely believe it’s well worth it).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind other vendors are on here as well including Amcrest and Nelly's to name a few.

You just happen to see a lot of Empiretech as many of us that have been there/done that and bought and replaced cameras feel like the Dahua OEM represents the best overall value in terms of cost and day/night performance.

We have a classified section.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And don't forget EmpireTech is having a sale this week, and he also has a refurbished list that you can usually get a great deal on some cameras and NVRs.

otanittep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks the sale price is in effect on Amazon? $209 for the 4K cam? Amazon says it’s the lowest recent price so I kind of assumed there was a bit of sale. So figured I’d better make a decision and start grabbing them now. Lol I did go ahead and order one immediately after talking to you guys earlier. And going to be grabbing at least 3 more here shortly. Do we know how long they are going to be at this price?