Edge Vector zone crossing detection is still unreliable

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Over the past few days I've been testing zone crossing using Edge Vector and it's not performing well at all. During my testing, I'm using default settings for size, contrast and movement. The zone config includes 3 zones. Zone A and B are the zone masks to determine the crossing areas, Zone G is filled completely.

I'd like to know if anyone is successfully using zone crossing with Edge Vector. My testing is using cloned cameras and the master is also using Edge Vector with only one zone which is working well. Thanks

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I use it only with a single zone, tried it a while back with multiple zones and found like you that it didn’t work reliably. I reported it to Ken, would suggest you do the same.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the expected benefit of edge vector? I don't understand when it should be used.
Simple has always worked as expected for me. Maybe I'm missing something (don't want to be left behind).

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lots of issues and reports of Edge Vector not working with Zone crossing. I am using EV only on cams without zones.

From the release notes when Edge Vector was introduced...
You may select to use either a Simple, Gaussian, or Edge Vector Algorithm. The Gaussian
algorithm uses slightly more complex heuristics for tracking pixel changes over time,
possibly helping to reduce false positives, but at a slight increase in CPU demand.
The simple algorithm emulates version 4, but the newer and somewhat more sophisticated
edge vector algorithm soon will become the default for version 5. This new algorithm
distinguishes between the leading and trailing edges of motion and you will see this if you
enable a highlighting option either in camera settings or in the viewer for testing. The
leading edge is painted a bright shade of blue, while the trailing edge appears in orange.
The remainder of the movement is a darker blue as was used in the simple algorithm.
The algorithm uses the leading and trailing edges to compute a vector, which consists of a
magnitude and angle for the motion of the object. A trigger will only occur if this vector is
consistent for the duration of the make time.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @DsineR.

Yea I read that and also reviewed the help file. Still don't understand under what circumstances it should be used vs Simple.

I do think "A trigger will only occur if this vector is consistent for the duration of the make time." is why so many are having trouble getting it to work the way they think it should.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I spoke to Ken earlier today about this. Here's his response...

Thanks for the feedback on the EV, I definitely need to fine-tune that for smaller/slower objects primarily. It was designed for larger, consistently moving objects.
Ken