DS-2DE2103-DE3/W, DS-7616NI-E2/16P and AXIS 241QA

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Time to put on the thinking caps...

I have about a dozen Chinese 2103's setup for English. They have varying firmware versions. I'd like to either get a hold of the latest English firmware they can all use, or alternately... is it possible to download the firmware from the one with the newest firmware, change the mac & sn in the file to match the target camera and then flash the target with the modded firmware? Is that possible with these cams? Is there another method I haven't heard about? As everyone is, I'm afraid of bricking them with the English version, and not sure of the method to mod the Chinese version so that works. Any help appreciated.

That was #1... here is #2...

The NVR (DS-7616) works with each of these Hik cams. It will not take video from my Axis 241 server (has 4 coax video cams feeding it), because it doesn't understand mjpeg. So, there is an alternate stream available on the server using RTSP. The NVR won't work with that either because the 241, like a lot of older Axis equipment is sending H.263. So, I was trying to get a PC physically local to the cams setup using VLC to grab the H.263 and transcode it on the fly to H.264 and send it to the alternate RTSP port 8554. The idea being that the NVR would go to the PC and grab the transcoded video in H.264 format. The port is open, and I've verified that VLC is reading the server video and transcoding it, but the NVR will not connect. I am also surprised that the NVR isn't backwards compatible with H.263, but we live in a fast-moving world and I'm reluctant to replace perfectly good equipment to make this work.

Again, any help appreciated. Thanks!