DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS slow interface loading and ANPR / LPR Issue (faulty unit?)

asuprasoft

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day to all!

I'm new to software development for IP cameras and i was assigned a project: write an app that fetches the number plate from an IP camera.
I looked around and got a brand new high-end HikVision model DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS and started work.

At first i got the ANPR to work, but as i was working my way through the camera's config and getting accustomed with it, it started behaving weirdly:
  • considerably longer time to load the web interface than OOB (when i pulled it out of the box it was very responsive and worked great)
  • ANPR stopped working

What i tried:
-i reset to factory defaults and tried again. Same thing - unresponsive web interface, long loading times. ANPR does not work.
-i upgraded the firmware to V5.6.11 build 201111 - same thing. Camera stopped recogninsing license plates, interface takes forever to load.
-i changed the power supply (powered over PoE) - nothing changed.
-i reset all the switches and routers in the company (yes, i went that far) - noting changed.
-i even added a 32GB SD card - it recognised and formatted it, but still the interface is slow and worst of all ANPR does not work.

What i noticed is that, sometimes, the video stream get corrupt (with pink squares superimposed on the image), but, in the end it works.
I think this might be a hardware network issue.

I'm all out of options... can't get ANPR to work anymore. I attached a screenshot of how it used to work - not it does not anymore.
I suppose i either did something while playing in the options, either it's a faulty unit. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Attachments

asuprasoft

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: Fixed the UI lag problems

considerably longer time to load the web interface than OOB (when i pulled it out of the box it was very responsive and worked great)
This had to to with the IR being turned on. If drained too much current from the power supply and the camera was not functioning properly. Fixed by disabling the IR.

ANPR does not work
Partially fixed - i set the mounting specifications to "Road" and decreased exposure time to 1/1000. Had to light the room a little, but detection now works. Not great, though... :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many have found the ANPR in cameras capable of that do not reliably return good results.

Most here go to a 3rd party such as OpenALPR or Plate Recognizer as they seem to have much better success rates.

Also keep in mind that plate reading is a science and usually cannot be setup the same way as a camera to ID people. At night, we usually have to run a fast shutter (1/2,000) and be in B/W with IR to get the plate. Very few locations have enough light to run color AND get plates. This means at night the camera image is black except for headlight and taillights. Here is my camera at night running that shutter speed.

1614876671138.png

I encourage you to review the LPR section of this forum to help you dial it in:

Last edited:

asuprasoft

n3wb
Reaction score
I encourage you to review the LPR section of this forum to help you dial it in:
Thaks - did not know about the section. Some call it LPR, some ANPR - it's sometimes hard to find in a search :))