DS-2CD3132-I update Firmware?

CelticWebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, I purchased a DS-2CD3132-I from ebay 2nd hand. I realised after purchasing it that it was not an official HikVision camera. Initially I thought it was a copy but after doing some reading up, I think its' a grey import from China.

It's currently running V5.2.5 build 141201 the previous owner has informed me that the guy he bought it from said not to update it.

I've had a look around on this forum and I can see a tool for altering firmwares to allow them to install on Chinese cameras in English. What I can't work out is exactly what firmwares I can do this with and what the benefits of doing it would actually be,

Can anybody tell me what the benefits of a newer firmware would be and if the benefits are worthwhile, which firmware shod I be looking at using.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think its' a grey import from China
If that is the case - the stock EN/ML Hikvision firmware will 'brick' the camera - it will cease to function.
the previous owner has informed me that the guy he bought it from said not to update it.
That's actually quite valid advice.
Can anybody tell me what the benefits of a newer firmware would be
A fix for the 'Hikvision backdoor' amongst other things - Backdoor found in Hikvision cameras - with these consequences if the camera is exposed to the internet : Search Results for Query: hikvision backdoor | IP Cam Talk
I can see a tool for altering firmwares to allow them to install on Chinese cameras in English.
Depending on what you are referring to - that won't convert a Chinese camera to a non-Chinese model.
To do that would need 'hacked to English' firmware, or a change to the hardware signature that was written in to the camera during manufacturing.
Which is what happens by using this method : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

CelticWebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the reply. That’s not the tool that I found but seems a far more useful one. Am I correct in thinking that using this tool alters information within the hardware that converts it from being a Chinese one and makes it in to a western one? Therefore allowing me to use standard firmware updates and more importantly, removing the Blackfoot exploit once updated with normal up to date firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that using this tool alters information within the hardware that converts it from being a Chinese one and makes it in to a western one?
Yes, all of that!
It's a method of 'unbricking' an R0 series CN market camera that has had stock EN/ML firmware applied and no longer works - and can't be recovered by downgrading to the older firmware due to the Hikvision 'downgrade block'.
And it gives a helping hand via some scripting to those that would like to convert the camera into EN / updateable by changing the hardware signature.

CelticWebs

n3wb
Reaction score
That's excellent! Thank you for your help, I'll download and read the instructions now and give it a go in the Morning, fingers crossed I don't kill my camera!

Thanks again for your help :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll download and read the instructions now and give it a go in the Morning
As the camera is not currently bricked - you'd only need to do the 'enhanced mtd hack', which involves changing some data in mtdblock6
But no harm in doing the whole thing if you're not too comfortable with doing the low-level stuff directly.