DS-2CD2386G2-ISU LED always on at night?

LoneEdge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello I purchased a new camera 8MP DS-2CD2386G2-ISU

I was wondering if its possible to keep the LED light on during the night instead of using IR.

I have a DS-2CD2347Gl-LU and the LED light stays on all night and turns off in the morning is there anyway to do this with my other camera?

Thanks in advance.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is the "flashing frequency".

duration "60 seconds" and frequency "normally on", that means that when it is triggered, the light will stay on for a full minute (instead of flashing).

LoneEdge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is the "flashing frequency".

duration "60 seconds" and frequency "normally on", that means that when it is triggered, the light will stay on for a full minute (instead of flashing).
So is there no way you keep the LED light on like on the DS-2CD2347Gl-LU ?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No idea, I am not saying that. In fact I have 2pc DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL and I do not know if it can be done.

I do not even know what cameras you have; I guess DS-2CD2347G1-LU and DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL? If both have white light, just compare how you have them configured.

LoneEdge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The LU just comes on automatically when it turns to night and you can configure IR instead on the broweser but I can't seem to find any option on the SL.

That's a bit of a pain I purchased the SL thinking it would be an upgrade over the LU..

If you manage to find how please let me know thanks.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DS-2CD2347G1-LU is a ColorVu camera, DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL is an Acusense camera. I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" since they are completely different cameras, for different purposes, ColorVu are for 24/7 color image, Acusense are for people/vehicle detection.

DS-2CD2347G1-LU does not even have IR light, it only has white light. On the Acusense the /SL at the end stands for "strobe/light", I doubt the light can be used whenever you want; and even if you did, the color quality would not be like the ColorVu camera.

LoneEdge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was on about upgrade from 4MP to 8MP am I just assumed that since it had a strobe light that light could be left on light the LU. But seems thats not the case thanks for the help should of looked around a bit more.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah, 8MP (4K) cams don't have nearly good enough night vision. the 4MP ColorVu cams have larger pixels which results in better low light sensitivity.

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
These have great b/w at night. If you have a bit of supplementary light e.g. street lamp. they'll do colour at night..

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the key number is microns per pixel on the CCD/CMOS camera chip. the /good/ low light cameras such as the Dahua 5442 series currently have 1/1,8" chips, these are about 9mm diagonal, or 7.11 x 5.33mm, and at 4MP with 2688x1520 pixels, the pixels are about 2.65 microns square. a 4K camera is more likely to be a 1/3" which is 4.8x3.6mm, and at 3840x2160 has 1.25 micron square pixels. a 2.65 micron pixel has 4.5 times the surface area of a 1.25 micron pixel, hence is 4.5 times more sensitive. that is over 2 f/stops for the photographers in the crowd, or the difference between ISO 400 and ISO 1600 film. with another 1/6th stop on top of that, heh (for that extra .5)

a /really/ awesome low light camera would have a "micro 4/3rds" (17x13mm) or even a 35mm FF sensor (36x24mm) but those are seriously /expensive/ and also require much larger lenses and camera bodies. we use sensors like that in astrophotography for /really/ low light work but the cameras cost $$ 4-5 digits. astrophotography cameras are often built with Peltier coolers to keep them as cold as possible to reduce the noise... but for security cameras, you do NOT want the long exposures of AP so thermal noise isn't as big a deal (an astrophotography exposure might be 5 minutes per image, while for security you want 1/60th or shorter to freeze motion blur).

btw, I have the IPCT version of the HiKvision 1/1.8 NITECOLOR camera, and indeed it can do color at night with very little light, but instead of the usual IR illuminator, it has a pair of warm white LED flood lamps. Its currently mounted as my high driveway overview camera... I'm trying to decide how I want to light my driveway so I can shut these off, thinking maybe enough of those solar charging garden lights will do, each carefully masked with some black tape so they don't glare directly into the camera. I'd like to swap it out for the Dahua equivalent that has IR filtering with an IR LED and add some aux IR lighting to cover deeper. In particular, I want some light on the edge of the woods that are nearly completely dark in the far background left.

driveway.20210710_003425991.jpg