• Dome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turret

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Swinub

n3wb
Reaction score
I prefer Dome, we live in an area that is still being developed, with large open spaces, very high winds, and lots of dust blowing. Dome sounds better to me in this scenario. I'm concerned the dust might get into some of the gaps I see in the turrets.

Everyone I call for buying and installing cameras from, however, are all very against dome cameras. They mention IR glare, and also the dome class "deteriorating" after a year.

The IR glare I'm not too concerned with. Our street is lit with LED lamps, and honestly turning off IR gives better results with the little Yi camera I have right now.

However this comment about the glass "deteriorating" is odd to me, not sure what this means.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer Dome, we live in an area that is still being developed, with large open spaces, very high winds, and lots of dust blowing. Dome sounds better to me in this scenario. I'm concerned the dust might get into some of the gaps I see in the turrets.

Everyone I call for buying and installing cameras from, however, are all very against dome cameras. They mention IR glare, and also the dome class "deteriorating" after a year.

The IR glare I'm not too concerned with. Our street is lit with LED lamps, and honestly turning off IR gives better results with the little Yi camera I have right now.

However this comment about the glass "deteriorating" is odd to me, not sure what this means.
dust in the gaps? really? so what...
the issue with domes has been discussed a million times...use search.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I personally don't like domes much due to poor night vision and I have the ones with a foam lens gasket

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer Dome, we live in an area that is still being developed, with large open spaces, very high winds, and lots of dust blowing. ..
Hi Swinub,

Q: However this comment about the glass "deteriorating" is odd to me, not sure what this means.
A: Exactly what it means. The "glass" dome - is really a "plastic" one, and over time direct UV exposure will cause the dome to deteriorate.

That along with the reasons mentioned by others here is why domes are not preferred outdoors.

The only exception I personally made was for a mini-dome wedge camera by my front door which is shaded protected from direct UV exposure, and the porch light is on during low light conditions.

Last edited:

Swinub

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Swinub,

Q: However this comment about the glass "deteriorating" is odd to me, not sure what this means.
A: Exactly what it means. The "glass" dome - is really a "plastic" one, and over time direct UV exposure will cause the dome to deteriorate.

That along with the reasons mentioned by others here is why domes are not preferred outdoors.

The only exception I personally made was for a mini-dome wedge camera by my front door which is shaded protected from direct UV exposure, and the porch light is on during low light conditions.
Thank you for the knowledgeable reply. So Turret it is then.

Any concerns in dusty construction sites, in terms of gunk etc. getting into the gaps on the turret? The dirty environment was what lead me to lean towards dome originally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Swinub

n3wb
Reaction score
I second mat200's exception about a dome in a well protected area, such as a covered porch, where it won't be exposed to UV, and where you can easily wipe dust, webs, etc off the dome when necessary. But you have to be sure that the foam lens gasket makes a good seal against the inside of the dome to eliminate internal glare. Some cameras are better at that, obviously, and some are worse. I have a Dahua IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS 4MP Dome at my front door, it doesn't have a problem with internal glare.
One will be under the covered porch. Two others will be at the side of the house. It's very narrow space with the neighboring houses, so we actually get very little sun. But the one in front of the garage and innthr backyard will have alot of sun exposure.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the knowledgeable reply. So Turret it is then.

Any concerns in dusty construction sites, in terms of gunk etc. getting into the gaps on the turret? The dirty environment was what lead me to lean towards dome originally.

Hi Swinub,

Look for the IPxx rating. ( IP65, IP67, ... ) that tells you how well a camera is sealed vs water ingress

You will need to clean your camera lenses frequently in a dusty area - should not be too much of an issue if you've installed them low enough to get a good ID image.