Doing some research on memory leaks to understand better

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wondering what a memory leak was so I started looking into it a bit and found this

Memory leaks are a very specific kind of high RAM usage. Usually, when a program stops a certain task, it’ll keep some stuff in memory in case you re-launch that task later (which is good!). However, it’ll mark it okay to “clear” in case your system needs that RAM for something important. Memory leaks happen when a program doesn’t mark that finished task as okay to clear—meaning it just stays in memory forever until you close the program completely or restart your computer (which is bad).

Can anyone confirm this is what happens with the memory leak problem Blue Iris has with the graphics driver.

Homer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would think of it more like a bucket with a hole in it. You keep topping it up to the right level, and so use more and more of the available resources until there are no spare resources left. Crash.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
YOU don't fix memory leaks. The software/driver developer does. All you can do is try different versions of affected software in hopes that you find a version that doesn't leak memory.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From a software developer point of view, A piece of software requests a block of memory from the operating system, uses it for a task (i.e. a buffer to build an image or a communications buffer) Then does not return it to the operating system. The next time it does the same task it requests a new block of memory from the operating system. It does this over and over again until there is no more memory left. Then the system will slow down, lock up or crash.

In software development of low level system, (i.e drivers) it is very easy to great memory leaks.