Does BI support H.254H or H.265 for Encoding, or just H.264

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi couldn't find this question anywhere. I have no issues de-coding H.264H or H.265 streams however when it comes to encoding, the formats are greyed out and only H.264 is listed.
ie: For email alerts, this can make 50% size difference and be the difference between making it through the email gateway (many have 20mb send limits) or failing. Wonder if I am missing a dependency to enable additional Decoders.
Tried toggling between various Hardware acceleration options,
1637100494309.png

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assume NO, found this in the Doc relating to re-encoding, so assume this also relates to "Alerts"

1637102066554.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
H.264H is just "High" profile which you CAN choose in the Profile dropdown.

Also choose "veryfast" in the preset. This is more CPU intensive, but achieves the best compression ratio.

To further increase compression ratio, increase the Maximum keyframe interval (GOP).

If you need to reduce the bit rate further to reduce file size, set quality lower (20%, 30% for example) and consider enabling a bit rate limit. 50% quality is quite high with the scale BI uses. UI3's VBR profiles use 20% quality by default and achieve an incredibly good compression ratio over longer spans of time thanks to having a keyframe interval of 1000 frames.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
H.264H is just "High" profile which you CAN choose in the Profile dropdown.

Also choose "veryfast" in the preset. This is more CPU intensive, but achieves the best compression ratio.

To further increase compression ratio, increase the Maximum keyframe interval (GOP).

If you need to reduce the bit rate further to reduce file size, set quality lower (20%, 30% for example) and consider enabling a bit rate limit. 50% quality is quite high with the scale BI uses. UI3's VBR profiles use 20% quality by default and achieve an incredibly good compression ratio over longer spans of time thanks to having a keyframe interval of 1000 frames.
Thanks for the reply, I was already using 30% quality, but will select "High" as you suggested. Still shows H.264 after selecting "High" however when checking the media I can confirm the media is now being encoded as H.264 High Profile whereas previously it was H.264 Constrained Baseline.
Learning something new every day. The manuals only reference to profiles is "leave set to main" and doesn't explain the different profiles. Do you have a reference or further information on the others?

Attachments

Last edited:

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I don't even really know what high profile means.
Anyway big thank-you as it has made a massive difference. Little gotcha though, depending on how many cams are triggered\encoding alerts, if I use H\W Quicksync decoding with multiple threads, the the first few emails arrive with attachments then the rest don't.
No errors in the BI logs or anything. It's not an issue for me, as I will either use H\w decoding with 1 thread or won't use H\W decoding. If I use Nvidia decoding, there is an error in the BI logs when it runs out of threads...
Very happy with the current BI setup.

Found this that explains the H.64 profile differences;
H.264 profiles and levels | Inside & Outside MediaCoder (mediacoderhq.com)