Does A Lit Up POE Switch Port Mean the Camera Is Okay?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've lost an IP camera off my lan. When I plug the ethernet cable into the POE switch the leds go on. Does that mean I can assume the camera is essentially okay? Powered up and such?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It means the switch port has made a good connection with the device on the other end of the ethernet cable. In addition, some switches also have a light with indicates that the port is supplying power over ethernet to the device on the other end of the ethernet cable. While these light(s) provide a basic indication that your camera is functional they do not diagnose your camera and they do not provide a definitive indication that your camera is functioning properly.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no, I realise that it couldn't mean everything - but it at least signifies some life in the camera - I've had no other positive indication that it is getting power so this is good. And blinking means data transfer I think? So that's good. More than I had. thanks. :)

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dahua 5431..

Edit 2nd Dec.

I now know for sure that it is okay. The hardware NVR located it. Somehow it managed to change its IP from 10.0.0.108 to 10.1.1.97. That's a hell of a leap... no wonder Angry IP Scanner didn't find it, nor the browsers, nor contacam or blue iris...

Last edited: