Do onvif cameras on aliexpress work with Hikvision NVR?

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm interested in adding a 3 cameras to my house, 1 bullet and 2 ptz. Hikvision cameras are quite expensive (especially PTZ) so thinking of going the aliexpress route. There are a couple of PTZ onvif cameras with quite a lot of sales/reviews on aliexpress and seem like a good buy. Curious which functions would work with hikvision nvr/app and which won't?

AFAIK only basic features like ptz control and basic motion detection would work. Is that true? What about two-way audio?

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No one has experience with third-party cameras onvif cameras and Hikvision nvr?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious which functions would work with hikvision nvr/app and which won't?
Provided that the ONVIF implementation in the cameras supports motion detection event notifications (and not all do, it was an optional requirement) I've had good experience using off-brand Chinese cameras with Hikvision NVRs.
But you will miss out on the Hikvision 'smart events', it will just be 'basic events'.

In reality though, what works well depends mostly on the brands and version of firmware on the cameras.
There are maybe half-a-dozen firmware implementations that tend to dominate, with XM (Xiongmaitech) being pretty common, and most derided.
A useful feature in many of them is a 'hikserver' which supports a subset of the Hikvision API, allowing you to add the cameras as a Hikvision native.
But these implementations are quite crude.
So don't be surprised what you can do with SADP and no credentials.

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found a vendor Anpviz, and seems like they are selling Hikvision cameras branded as their own. They specifically mention in description "Hikvision compatible". Is that a good camera? I guess I could live with Smart events, since cats and about everything trips it a lot anyways.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say that 'Hikvision compatible' just means that it has a 'hikserver' as opposed to it being a Hikvision camera.
Be wary of such claims.

jobby99

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, they have multiple ports associated with them that are not standard onvif and broadcast on these ports by default.