Do I have to be an electrician to install the Outdoor Smart Camera??

Scott102

n3wb
Reaction score
I feel really dumb to not know how to do this after the embarrassing number of hours I've spent researching online...but how is one supposed to get the AC power through the wall from the outside and then plugged in on the interior of the home?!
Most of the YouTube videos show cables that aren't the AC power the OSC comes with...I understand that a hole should be drilled on the outside, the power cable run down the inside of the wall...but then I get stuck.
Do I drill a hole from the inside of the home to pull the wire through, attach it to the adapter and then plug it in?
Does anyone have a photo they could upload of their setup?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us use cameras that are POE, which means the data and power both are sent through an ethernet cable, which is probably the cables you see on YouTube videos.

If you have a camera that is not POE, then lots of other ways to go about it. Install an electrical outlet next to where you want the camera to go is one route.

Simply punch a hole through the wall next to an indoor outlet and plug the camera in is another way.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I feel really dumb to not know how to do this after the embarrassing number of hours I've spent researching online...but how is one supposed to get the AC power through the wall from the outside and then plugged in on the interior of the home?!
Most of the YouTube videos show cables that aren't the AC power the OSC comes with...I understand that a hole should be drilled on the outside, the power cable run down the inside of the wall...but then I get stuck.
Do I drill a hole from the inside of the home to pull the wire through, attach it to the adapter and then plug it in?
Does anyone have a photo they could upload of their setup?
Welcome @Scott102

What camera are you attempting to setup?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
for non-poe setup, you may still bring power within the same cat5/6 cable. The camera will only use 2-pairs of cables for data, leaving 2-extra pairs for power. You may connect a 12Vdc power supply (1~2 Amps for non PTZ) near the NVR, using female 2.1mm connector. At the camera end, use the male 2.1mm connector. I use the blue/blue-white pair for the positive 12V, while the brown/brown-white pair for negative

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Food for thought:
If you hire a certified electrician (recommended, based on your own statements) to install an electrical outlet outside for the camera's "wall wart" power supply, you'll still be faced with guarding the outlet AND the power supply from weather, so...

IMO your best option is to use a camera that is POE. You should be OK running a CAT-5e or 6 cable with a CMR-rated jacket through the wall (avoiding any existing wiring) to the camera.

EDIT: if you already have a non-POE camera, do what @eggsan suggested, there are even plug-in passive splitters that connect to the CAT cable and split it to power and data. I used these to run 12VDC to a non-POE cam in a bluebird house. You crimp your RJ-45 connectors onto your CAT cable per T-568B spec, the splitter sends the voltage on pairs 4/5 & 7/8 and data onto pairs 1/2 & 3/6. Your wall wart stays indoors where it's comfy and dry.

cam-mount-5_sm.jpg RJ45-Pinout-T568B_med.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.