Difficult few days...

Reaction score
Our A/C quit and we can’t get anyone out until Thursday which is when they will probably tell me it needs replacing.

Worse, we took our cats to the Vet today for their shots and Leo, the oldest, had a siezure. A grand later we were told he was okay but that we would have to bring him back on Tuesday for his shots. A big relief that he is okay!

But, on Tuesday, I had scheduled for our new gas cooktop to be installed which means my wife will have to take him by herself.

It‘s gonna be a difficult few days or weeks. Oh well.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your week sounds like ours, AC went out, dog has spine problems, (hind leg weakness) things just keep coming! We are fortunate, the AC, 31 years old, only cost $130 to get it fixed, and the dog appears to be doing better.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Your week sounds like ours, AC went out, dog has spine problems, (hind leg weakness) things just keep coming! We are fortunate, the AC, 31 years old, only cost $130 to get it fixed, and the dog appears to be doing better.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Our dog had a couple seizure like episodes. They want $4k to do an MRI and spinal fluid sample! Seems perfectly fine other than a couple episodes over the last few months. Still trying to decide on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Our dog had a couple seizure like episodes. They want $4k to do an MRI and spinal fluid sample! Seems perfectly fine other than a couple episodes over the last few months. Still trying to decide on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, those bills can run up quickly, and can often require hours of travel to and from the specialty vet or teaching university for treatment.

Ours is a French Bulldog, and they are very susceptible to spine issues. In this case, he has genetic deformed spine in places, and causing nerve issues (IVDD). right now he is on bed rest for a month.

We had a dog several years ago that developed a brain tumor. It was $5 - $10K to operate on it, with no guarantee of a good result. He was 12 years old, about as old as Frenchies get, and we decided that was too much, no certainty, and probably decreased quality of life for him, de declined.

Here is our spoiled "puppy" now, he is about 8 years old.

Winslow.jpg

Photon Farmer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Our A/C quit and we can’t get anyone out until Thursday which is when they will probably tell me it needs replacing.
Three very common A/C problems are
1) capacitor - if bulged it is bad can also check with capacitance meter
2) contactor (just fancy name for relay) - check coil where 24 volts goes for continuity and look that contacts are not melted
3) fuses - check continuity also check for tripped circuit breaker
if any of these bad they are cheap easy fixes

and best wishes for your cats

Reaction score

Worse, we took our cats to the Vet today for their shots and Leo, the oldest, had a siezure. A grand later we were told he was okay but that we would have to bring him back on Tuesday for his shots. A big relief that he is okay!

But, on Tuesday, I had scheduled for our new gas cooktop to be installed which means my wife will have to take him by herself.

It‘s gonna be a difficult few days or weeks. Oh well.
my co-worker had his 20 year old a/c break 2 weeks before the start of the 100 degree days. He found someone for $6900 to install a new one. Most quotes came in around $8k.
If you do not want to wait... evaporative cooler will save your day. I won a auction lot for one of those big boys (5500cfm) for $5 because the motor didn't work and it looked old. I just ran a finger nail sandpaper thingy between the motor contacts and it worked. Older unit? No problem as evap cooler is basically a fan with a wall of water around it with a pump. During these last 104 degree days of the last 2 weeks, I never ran my a/c at all. 104 degrees out and it remained 72 inside my house. So if health is an issue, go get evaporative cooloer.
Yes, my house is piped for A/C but it's a unit from the 2006 era so gobbles up electricity. I prefer evap cooler because it feels like a cool evening tropical breeze throughout my house and I love it. I did not punch a hole in the wall or nothing. I added 4 x 3/4" EMT sticks to each corner to raise it up so the blow hole was flush with a sliding glass window that I open when in use.

Reaction score
Bought one from Home Depot today. Helping but not exactly comfortable.
some folks know how to use evap coolers, some do not. Remember, with the amount of air that is forced through your evap cooler, that air has to leave. Is why you leave windows open all over the place.

Reaction score
The one we just bought is an indoor portable unit and I have it near a bathroom whose exhaust fan is on. Does this work?
no where close to working. Fully open a window somewhere and the high/low pressure that is created by the evap cooler will eventually find it's air path. That air path will get the cool air. No air path = not so cool. So folks usually crack various windows through out the house to distribute the air flow

Reaction score
now if you have one of the smaller portable ones like pictured below, they are more so for a single room only. But the thought process remains: air pathways is pushed via fan to open window or something. I've seen folks leave all windows closed. The humidity starts to creep up and you basically end up recycling hot air over and over. Hence, always need escape path for the air to flow to.
This pic below was my first ever evap cooler that encouraged me to get the big bro :)

Attachments

Reaction score
and sorry about kitty. I lost one of my 2 sister cats to a dog attack. I jumped in between the fight at the risk of being attacked myself from .... not pitbulls, not doberman pinchers...but the other breed that folks fear. Degloved the tail. Vet said $2000 to amputate and 50% possibility of infection afterwards. I decided to put her down. This was 1 week after my first tire slashing event. It was a bad month. I'm sure the entire attack was caught on my 5442 in the backyard... but deleted it without watching it.

Reaction score
Okay, I opened the slider about a foot and moved the Bonaire 600 facing away from the opening.
the ideal situation is the evap cooler sucks in dry non-humid air (so be near open window or door) which passes through the soaked water medium & fan, blows the now cool HUMID air along a pathway that needs to leave the house. A window fan at other end of the pathway helps to remove things.

Reaction score
and sorry about kitty. I lost one of my 2 sister cats to a dog attack. I jumped in between the fight at the risk of being attacked myself from .... not pitbulls, not doberman pinchers...but the other breed that folks fear. Degloved the tail. Vet said $2000 to amputate and 50% possibility of infection afterwards. I decided to put her down. This was 1 week after my first tire slashing event. It was a bad month. I'm sure the entire attack was caught on my 5442 in the backyard... but deleted it without watching it.
rottweiler. had to google it :)