Did I Break My Brand New Dahua Camera Just by Installing It?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, it's an HDCVI model A21CM0Z dome camera, not an IP camera. If there's a better thread for such relics, feel free to point me in that direction or have someone move the post.

And it's not exactly a new model by any means (circa 2018), but "brand new" to me and new out of the box as an addition to a complete overhaul of my legacy analog system hanging off my Blue Iris IP network via an Amcrest AMDV8M8 -- basically a DHI-XVR. It's also a multi-format camera that should integrate seamlessly with the DV8M8 -- and seemed to initially, then nothing -- at least it no longer displays an image or switches to IR or does anything else that would otherwise be easily observable.

Unlike the cheaper inline joystick approach to configuring such cameras, this one is menu driven by the DVR menu system via CVI. (The exception is in determining the desired signal type which is selected by a dip switch on the camera pigtail or by the menu.) It's not responsive to any menu functions, though TinyCam does recognize certain firmware parameters such as compression type, intended frame rate, some sporadic frames, etc. I haven't attempted to analyze it much further than that via other means (VLC, Nmap...) to see if I could possibly narrow it down to either firmware or hardware. I got frustrated and put it back in the box, but haven't given up hope as it seems like a quite capable unit for an analog camera.

So anyway, there is zero operational documentation out there on this particular camera aside from it's very impressive data sheet. What came in the box was little more than mounting and movement restriction instructions in 60 languages. And the latter is sorta where I wonder if I may have screwed up when I mounted and adjusted it. It is a semi - PTZ camera with a motorized vari-focal lens. I'm not sure if the motor is intended for anything else, but I manually adjusted both the horizontal and vertical positions after mounting the camera not even thinking they may actually be motorized adjustments. I don't think they are, but wonder if manually adjusting it could have screwed something up -- maybe even just wiring under the assembly? I sorta took it apart, but only went so far...

I'm hoping someone can possibly refer me to a source of documentation for this particular camera. I tracked down what's available for a bullet version, but it's only partially applicable to this unit. I'm also open to any troubleshooting suggestions or even a recommendation for a service source that wouldn't be cost prohibitive. On the other hand, there may be good reason for not much being out there on these things if they're known to be problematic and immediately taking a crap when powered up. They're still available from several sources at anywhere between $100 and $150. I got mine in a deal with several other CCTV items at much less than that, but the cam was the main item if interest.

As usual, thanks in advance for any assistance or enlightenment. I'd really like to get this thing up and running if possible. Looks like it would make a great addition to the analog revamp.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried taking it down and using a known good cable and seeing if it works again - maybe the run is too long to power it or getting interference or a kink or cut in the installed wire?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did all that. It was installed in place of a working cam with all interior coax in good condition -- probably a 60' run at most. The cam it replaced is back up and working fine.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As mentioned, it seems to be trying to spit something out, but that could also just be the channel of the DVR itself being recognized by TinyCam and not anything from the actual camera.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, TinyCam sees basic codec activity from the DVR channel with nothing even plugged in...

That would sorta indicate the Dahua is just dead. But it did fire up and work ever so briefly...