Did a quick IR test tonight with 3 different IR illuminators

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This test was conducted with a Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE from Andy. Default settings and running Andy's firmware. All three IR illuminators are a big improvement over the camera IR. Which one do you like the best? These brand new model Tendelux IR illuminators I bought on Amazon and received today seem to be really good.

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 8.13.52 PM.png

Camera IR
Camera IR.png

8-watt Tendelux IR - Model
8 watt IR.png

10-watt Tendelux IR - Model
10 watt IR.png

20-watt Tendelux IR - Model
20 watt IR.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not a lot of difference between them but I think 8 or 10. Big difference in the cam. I remember from your earlier posts.

I guess maybe you might see more difference at faster cam settings.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from just the snapshots, but the 20watt model is certainly blowing out the leaves on the left side where it is mounted. The lower power models seem to have a more even illumination level. Obviously the 20watt model would throw IR farther, but it seems that your physical environment/mounting location is the limiting factor here and not the power of the IR emitter. In other words, the 20w model isn't throwing IR farther because it is being blocked by physical objects. Therefore I think the lower watt model might be a better overall fit - illuminating just as far as the higher wattage units, but not blowing out the near objects.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, has anyone found a good 'spot' external IR ? I am at the max zoom for my 5241 that does LPR duty and I could use a more focused IR beam in the area where cars go by.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had a number of CMVision IRs up for at least three years with no problems. Most are under eaves, but they still get direct rain/snow when the wind is right. I also have a Tendalux that's been up for six months and is fine as well. Both the CMVision and Tendalux I have seem well built and pretty much weather/water proof.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
To me the onborad camera ir alone looks best. With the additional ir you're losing light at furthest distance. For me, additional ir should be used to add light at the furthest distance in your shot, not add more light closer in. These cameras have superb ir on their own.

The old style tendelux can take on moisture. I have the B18 120' and during location testing it fell face down in a rain storm. It'll take on moisture, trust me lol. Easy enough to open and clean up. I sealed the edges with gaffer tape to further help.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yall need to see his reply with the deer. That looks incredible and it's with the 20w. Perhaps the extra wattage brings down the shutter. That deer isn't blown out or anything. That video really should be added to the original post at the top. Nice.