Defog function

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua cameras with defog capabilities have this function set off as the default.

With cameras that support this feature, are there any known disadvantages / compromises should the defog be active?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing might be wear and tear on the fan over time- if it's on all the time when it's set to on. I'm not really sure how it works but I would think that just like in a car, it's a blower. If you don't have trouble with fog, I'd leave it off until such time that you do- if you eve do.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the help page in the cam's gui:
Defog Mode
The image quality will be lower when the device is exposed to the environment with fog and haze, the image can operate auto de-warp in auto mode. It can also select different intensity manually according to the fog density to adjust the image definition.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
The Defog will have nothing to do with the lens or camera, it is the image that is adjusted. It can work fairly well when trying to see through the fog.

If left in auto it can make the image looked washed out with too much light.
You can not use any backlight settings - BLC,HLC or WDR when defog is on / auto.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Defog will have nothing to do with the lens or camera, it is the image that is adjusted. It can work fairly well when trying to see through the fog.

If left in auto it can make the image looked washed out with too much light.
You can not use any backlight settings - BLC,HLC or WDR when defog is on / auto.
Thanks jmcu!