Deepstack seem to continuesly triggered with no motion

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Starting on deepstack for the first time, noticed my drive is filling up and lots of alerts picture with no motion. IE the driveway camera will have alerts with my car just parking there. How do you avoid this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Need more details.

Is the drive really filling up with photos or is it your alerts on the left of the screen that are simply placeholders in the BVR file?

If it is that, you can go into the camera setting under AI and tell it to only put confirmed alerts on your alerts tab.

And at night, it can be problematic with parked cars because every passing vehicle will have a different headlight glow that outlines your vehicle differently than the previous vehicle. The newer updates are improving on eliminating them, but using a custom dark model or creating your own model based on your field of view will help tremendously.

Also the settings in the camera gui can make a difference - are you running your cameras on auto/default or have you dialed in the parameters like shutter speed to your field of view?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I might have found the issues. I purged BI installation trying to figure out the lagging issue. Long story short, there was the old files in the storage I see some dating a year old. deleted everything and only saved the last few days.

Got ran out of disc error and some recording might have triggered the 0 bytes. Anyways I'll monitor it and see how goes.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually found something.

First photo you'll see a bunch of little short clips, these are shown in "NEW" there are actually many of these clips that are just a few seconds long. When I analyze it wirth deepstack, it thinks it's a parking meter and triggered it. why the hell does a parking meter that isn't moving a thing to even trigger to start with?

It does similar things with my plants and cars but what's annoying is earlier I walked to the car crossing the view of multiple cameras and nothing trigger me until I drove off with the car. All of my outside cameras are set to detect the default of pretty much everything that's populated in there.

1638328032447.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The analyze portion after the fact is different than Deepstack live.

When you are playing back the video with Deepstack analysis ON, it will show you EVERYTHING Deepstack looks for.

Unless you have parking meter in your confirm box, that is not what is causing the triggers.

It is a setting with your motion detection that is sending it off - shadows from the sun, leaves blowing by, cars going by.

Simply make Zone B to be just the area you want triggers on for Deepstack to analyze.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The analyze portion after the fact is different than Deepstack live.

When you are playing back the video with Deepstack analysis ON, it will show you EVERYTHING Deepstack looks for.

Unless you have parking meter in your confirm box, that is not what is causing the triggers.

It is a setting with your motion detection that is sending it off - shadows from the sun, leaves blowing by, cars going by.

Simply make Zone B to be just the area you want triggers on for Deepstack to analyze.
Since I'm coming with all my cameras motion and zone defined before deep stake, do I now need to redo all of my motion detection? I have zone crossing for the majority of my cameras but it seems with deep stack, I only want to use specific zone?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got something else going on. Check the box on the left side of the AI configuration for the camera that says "burn in" so you can see what triggered DeepStack. I'd shut off DeepStack in all but one camera until you get things working properly on one camera. When I started using DeepStack I didn't have to change anything in motion detection and that seems to be the case for many, many people that have implemented it. In fact it has reduced false alerts down to basically zero for me and I'm running it on ten cameras right now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to accomplish with each camera.

You could turn off the cancelled alerts showing up to the left if that eases your mind, or you define the areas you want your cameras to be triggered on for Deepstack to analyze.

Is your image above the alerts or the BVR files. Take a look at the alerts to see what is triggering it.

For example, if you motion zone is the whole field of view, then any car that goes by will trigger the analysis.

If all you care about is a person coming up your walkway, then make a zone just for that area:

1638329000412.png

And yes as @sebastiantombs suggests, just do DeepStack with one camera until you figure out the nuances of it and then deploy it for more cameras.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lets take this odd shaped location for an example.. The area inside the red boxes are the area of interest, i'd like it to trigger only if a person or an animal have movement within the the box, however, in the example below assume I set the zone area as indicated, the a person's legs will be the only thing inside the box. The old ways, this don't work very well so I have to make the zone taller. Will deep stack analyze the entire person's body even it's drawn out like this?

This gave me the most headache before on windy days. Also for it to triger how should the motion trigger be set? Do you leave object detection off and just select zone? Do we have to invert the area that are not of interest in the zone settings in the past?

1638338443380.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^In this field of view, you make Zone A the entire screen and make Zone B the area in red. Then in the AI, you checkbox Zone B. That way DeepStack will analyze the whole image to get the upper body, but not be triggering in areas outside of that box, so it will only trigger for motion in Zone B and will use Deepstack to confirm or cancel the trigger.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^In this field of view, you make Zone A the entire screen and make Zone B the area in red. Then in the AI, you checkbox Zone B. That way DeepStack will analyze the whole image to get the upper body, but not be triggering in areas outside of that box, so it will only trigger for motion in Zone B and will use Deepstack to confirm or cancel the trigger.
When you say zone a entire screen, you do mean to include the areas inside the red box then just add some b over it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, include the entire screen for Zone A (make whole screen yellow) and then Zone B is just the area you want it to trigger and alert on.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to make sure, Zone A i clicked fill to cover the entire area, zone B I masked as the photo above. And in AI I have the following.

1638373678449.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be correct.

Also, some find that unchecking the use main stream if available produces better results, so consider that if you are having trouble.

All of mine are unchecked and the results are just fine.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll do anything you guys recommend at this point. When using deep stack, does any of the setting in motion detector matter anymore? Beside setting up the zone, I unchecked everything else. Also, What does the Add to alerts list do? From another youtube video, he recommended to use Hi-res JPEG files. I think this was what caused the spike in my CPU. I have a 20% increased in CPU usage now.

1638374310573.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The jpg's are fine for email purposes but not really needed for that either.

DeepStack will only analyze when a camera is triggered or "alerted" depending on the settings. It should be working correctly now. How much time have you set for "pretrigger" in the record tab of the camera?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The jpg's are fine for email purposes but not really needed for that either.

DeepStack will only analyze when a camera is triggered or "alerted" depending on the settings. It should be working correctly now. How much time have you set for "pretrigger" in the record tab of the camera?
On average i use a 10 seconds pretrigger.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding alerts, are we still using the alerts tab for this or are we using immediate actions now? I assume the alert tabs is only for the old ways but since our motion sensor i set to work with AI, if left default, it will probably trigger a lot of false negative?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You might think about cutting that down. I typicall use three seconds and a half a second for vehicle detection. When using the "leading edge" option DS can time out before it even sees an object with long pretrigger times.

I just went back and looked. You may want to turn on "apply to motion triggers only" in the AI configuration.

I'm using the Alerts tab for actions on DS verified alerts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding alerts, are we still using the alerts tab for this or are we using immediate actions now? I assume the alert tabs is only for the old ways but since our motion sensor i set to work with AI, if left default, it will probably trigger a lot of false negative?
You use the alerts tab - this is where it will send an alert based on what your AI confirms.

The immediate actions is for something you want to happen regardless of whether AI confirms it or not.