Dash cam

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking for a dash cam front and rear which can record for a good amount of time when vehicle is parked and is off.

if it can have battery that gets charged when car is running and use the battery when vehicle is off to help battery drainage.
Vehicle: Toyota 4runnner 2016 sr5
thanks in advance

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a dash cam front and rear which can record for a good amount of time when vehicle is parked and is off.
Vehicle: Toyota 4runnner 2016 sr5
thanks in advance
Me too...I want mine hard wired, where I run/tuck wires under molding, also would like to unplug the camera(s) id possible. I have looked at the Rearview Mirror Cams, I like their concept...Some I have seen with two Cams on the mirror, one for front view and cabin view.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a solution, though it's not an urgent project.

Ideally, I would have two cameras, both wide-angle, front and back. Recording continuously locally in the car, during driving and while parked anywhere but at home (as defined as within range of my home wifi). The car is garaged and doesn't need to record when in the garage (the field of view would be blank, basically, at this time.

What I'd particularly like is automated footage retrieval and storage: When I get home, and within range of my home wifi, I'd like the system in the car to offload the footage to a server in the house via wifi automatically. The server would be set up to store say a month's worth of driving footage (obviously variable, based on how much I drive). This would reduce the amount of capacity needed in the car.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

Ideally, I would have two cameras, both wide-angle, front and back. Recording continuously locally in the car, during driving and while parked anywhere but at home (as defined as within range of my home wifi). The car is garaged and doesn't need to record when in the garage (the field of view would be blank, basically, at this time.

What I'd particularly like is automated footage retrieval and storage: When I get home, and within range of my home wifi, I'd like the system in the car to offload the footage to a server in the house via wifi automatically. The server would be set up to store say a month's worth of driving footage (obviously variable, based on how much I drive). This would reduce the amount of capacity needed in the car.
I wonder how well a Raspberry Pi would do for a mobile DVR and dump to a FTP server..

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

sounds like a big project and a lot of work :)

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

I have the old version of this without LTE, but I can say that they are rock solid. Worth the price paid. Has parking mode, and video quality is stunning, even at night.

This camera actually paid for itself from the accident my wife was in earlier this summer that totalled her car.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah, some airbag burns but nothing serious, thanks. Times like those you are glad you have a video of it. The other lady tells the police that she had the green? Lets watch the video at the scene and see.