Dahua Wizsense NVR

Reaction score
Hi experts

I currently have 3 cameras running on Dahua NVR2104HS-P-S2 which doesn't support tripwire feature, it has only motion detect which is useless as I get hundreds of alerts due to shadow of trees, moths flying at night, wind blowing on trees, animals etc. I am planning to replace the NVR with a Wizsense NVR and purchase two more Wizmind cameras that will detect humans accurately. I am thinking of IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE or IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED which have face recognition feature as I don't want any alert to be triggered by family members. I would also like to enable tripwire on my existing non AI cameras which I currently can't do as my existing NVR NVR2104HS-P-S2 doesn't not have this feature. Due to my previous mistake of purchasing the wrong NVR, I am thinking this time I will post my requirement here hoping someone is able to help me in selecting the right NVR that can be used for 2 AI cameras and 3 non-AI cameras. My questions are:
1) Is NVR2108-8P-I or NVR2108HS-8P-I enough for what I would like to do?
2) What is the difference between NVR2108-8P-I and NVR2108HS-8P-I, is it just one can be rack mounted while the other can't?
3) What is the difference between NVR2108-8P-I and NVR4208-8P-I?
4) Is there any where I can integrate Blue Iris with the existing NVR so I can use the AI feature of the new AI cameras?

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

I don't have specific answers to your questions but have related questions! Looking at the Dahua website for the NVRs you list provides some clarity on the difference between the NVR models. With a Wizsense NVR the differences appear to be with the number of channels supporting IVS (perimeter protection). See the list here if you haven't already done that:

Wizsense NVRs

There is three variants, the 2, 4 and 5 series. Within that you have the differences in terms of number of HDD bays and the number of channels. There are also differences between models with regards to PoE ports. All of the Wizsense NVRs have an 'I' in the model number as far as I can tell - meaning they are 'intelligent' in terms of the IVS features. What you need to be careful of is the number of channels supporting IVS as that has caught me out. The lower end 2 & 4 series restrict the number of channels that IVS can be enabled on. This neatly leads me to my query which is related.

If the NVR only supports 4 channels of IVS but the unit has 16CH capacity can you use the IVS settings on any cameras in excess of 4? I'm assuming that the IVS features of the NVR mean the NVR is doing the work in terms of receiving the IVS events from the camera and processing them accordingly within it's own interface for playback. However what if you enable IVS on a 5th camera for example where the NVR only supports 4 channels of IVS? Does the event get logged anywhere by the NVR or is it ignored completely? It's confusing how the NVR and cameras interact with regards to IVS events as you can setup IVS on either the camera or the NVR but I'm not sure how this actually functions. In addition some of the NVRs offer the option of IVS by device or by camera when setting up a rule on the NVR.

If anyone has any clarity on both my query and Andrew's above it would be really helpful.

ATB,

Andy

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've now received some further clarification on how the new Wizsense NVRs work in respect to IVS.

As I mentioned above the range of NVRs have different channel number support for IVS functions and I wasn't 100% sure why. It turns out the lower series units only support limited IVS rules by DEVICE (i.e. by the NVR itself). In other words if a datasheet states it supports 4 channels of perimeter protection that means you can only have four channels using IVS when the IVS rules are set and processed by the NVR itself. That means the cameras don't need to support IVS for the rules to be set on those 4 channels. So if you have non IVS equipped cameras like Andrew above then the IVS rules will still work as they are processed by the NVR.

The flip side is you can have more IVS support if you use cameras with builtin IVS. The new software v4 on these NVRs allows you to specify whether the IVS function is set by the DEVICE (NVR) or the CAMERA. If you choose device you're restricted by the number of channels stated on the datasheet for that NVR. However if you choose camera, and provided that cameras has IVS support builtin, you can use more channels of the NVR for IVS rules. How many you can use depends on the NVR. For example the 4216 has 16CH support but only supports 4 channels of IVS if the IVS is carried out by the NVR. If you use the cameras IVS functionality then the NVR will support 8CH of IVS rules. Why not 16? Well the answer I received is due to performance limitations on the lower series NVRs. It requires more processing even if the IVS rules are set by the camera hence the restriction. On the 5 series models all channels can be utilised for IVS whether it's done by the camera or the NVR.

It is confusing but it tallies with my experience of these NVRs and explains why the new software has the selection of IVS by device or by camera.

Hope the above helps anyone as confused as I was. None of this is clearly outlined in any datasheets or manuals.

Reaction score
I've now received some further clarification on how the new Wizsense NVRs work in respect to IVS.

As I mentioned above the range of NVRs have different channel number support for IVS functions and I wasn't 100% sure why. It turns out the lower series units only support limited IVS rules by DEVICE (i.e. by the NVR itself). In other words if a datasheet states it supports 4 channels of perimeter protection that means you can only have four channels using IVS when the IVS rules are set and processed by the NVR itself. That means the cameras don't need to support IVS for the rules to be set on those 4 channels. So if you have non IVS equipped cameras like Andrew above then the IVS rules will still work as they are processed by the NVR.

The flip side is you can have more IVS support if you use cameras with builtin IVS. The new software v4 on these NVRs allows you to specify whether the IVS function is set by the DEVICE (NVR) or the CAMERA. If you choose device you're restricted by the number of channels stated on the datasheet for that NVR. However if you choose camera, and provided that cameras has IVS support builtin, you can use more channels of the NVR for IVS rules. How many you can use depends on the NVR. For example the 4216 has 16CH support but only supports 4 channels of IVS if the IVS is carried out by the NVR. If you use the cameras IVS functionality then the NVR will support 8CH of IVS rules. Why not 16? Well the answer I received is due to performance limitations on the lower series NVRs. It requires more processing even if the IVS rules are set by the camera hence the restriction. On the 5 series models all channels can be utilised for IVS whether it's done by the camera or the NVR.

It is confusing but it tallies with my experience of these NVRs and explains why the new software has the selection of IVS by device or by camera.

Hope the above helps anyone as confused as I was. None of this is clearly outlined in any datasheets or manuals.
Thanks for your quick response.

Are you sure the NVR can support IVS on the 5th channel even if the datasheet says it supports only 4 channels? Currently my cameras support tripwire but my NVR doesn't, hence I am not able to use tripwire feature. I would thought this is the same principle.

In the datasheet for NVR2108-P-I, it mentions that the NVR supports 1-channel face detection and recognition (AI by NVR); or 2-channel perimeter detection (AI by NVR); or 4-channel SMD (AI by NVR), does that mean if I choose to use 1 channel for face recognition , I cannot use the other channels for perimeter detection, same wise, if I choose to use 1 channel for perimeter detection, I can no longer use any channel for face recognition ? I didn't see NVR4208-8P-I has this description in the datasheet, does that mean that I can use 2 channels for face recognition and still have 4 channels for perimeter detection?

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

Yes I'm sure. The NVR is not supporting IVS on the 5th channel, your camera is so if you don't have an IVS camera then it won't work. The 5th channel example was only that. It depends on the spec of your NVR. Some have limited AI processing and some don't have any at all. The Wizsense NVRs all have some form of AI but often limited to a set number of channels. To be clear we're talking about the NVR handling the AI rather then the camera when I refer to the restricted channels. In essence you can use an AI NVR with cameras that don't have AI capability as the detection and processing is done by the NVR on those channels supporting it. If you have AI enabled cameras then you can have more channel support by using the camera to do the AI processing and not the NVR. However the number of channels you can have this work is still restricted and it depends on the model of NVR. There is no clear details of this in any datasheets I've seen.

Hope that helps and I see you've had some other responses from Andy at Empire on another thread.

Ubaid Masood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
User one function at time and max resolution up to 4MP:

If you use traditional cameras(non-AI cams) with AI NVR2-I the backend performance is below:
Performance AI by NVR
NVR2-I support 4 SMD channels
NVR2-I support 1 FR channels
NVR2-I support 2 IVS channels

Performance AI by Camera (Smart Plan must be configured)
if you use front end AI based camera max capacity reach up to
NVR2-I support 4 FR (with 5x4x series cameras or 7 series cameras)
NVR2-I support 4 channel IVS (3 series cameras) not sure about full load
NVR2-I support 8 channel SMD (3 series cameras)

CHILLXXL

n3wb
Reaction score
A bit offtopic; Does anyone know if the NVR2108-8P-I or NVR2108HS-8P-I are fanless?
Are there fanless Dahua NVR's? (I hear that fans are noisy in Dahua NVR's but don't have one yet, so no experience)

ChrisO

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a NVR2108HS-4KS2, it is fanless and doesn't have any PoE ports. I guess those with PoE ports could need a better cooling.
I recently replaced a very noisy NVR with built in PoE ports with the mentioned Dahua's NVR and a 8-ports PoE switch from Tenda TEF1110P-8-102W fanless as well.
It's really quiet now :)

overbe

n3wb
Reaction score
I have cameras HDW4631EM-ASE and NVR2108-I with enabled SMD by NVR. It records both MD and SMD. Should it be so or something is set incorrectly? I thought that SMD cuts off non human/vehicle motion.

Last edited:

silvio_18

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So the DHI-NVR4108-8P4KS2 recorder is better, because it has no channel limitations with protection perimeter.
And the recorder NVR2108-8P-I, has limitations up to 4 channels of protection perimeter.

silvio_18

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm undecided on buying a new recorder
Enter NVR2108-8P-I (can only be activated in 4 channels)
and between this
NVR4108-8P4KS2 (has no perimeter protection limitations)

I do not understand, the 2108-8P-I, has AI and even has 200 mbs of speed, and then has the limitations of the security perimeter.

The NVR4108-8P4KS2, only has 80 mbs of speed, and has no limitations and I must be able to place wizsense cameras on this recorder.