Dahua Smart Dual Illuminator incorrectly always on

bluebrush

n3wb
Reaction score
What actually triggers the white light to come on when dark?
I have two cameras and find one has good behaviour with the illuminator, but the other keeps the illuminator on all the time, might go off for a second but quickly comes back.
All cameras run the same firmware, both use IVS with IVS smart plan on the camera, both have smart illuminator selected in settings.
I can't see anything breaking the intrusion zones on live feed- this is when there is no real movement (people/cars) going by.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running the cameras on auto/default settings? If so, one could be bouncing between thinking it has enough light or not and dialing them in to eliminate motion blur would probably take care of it because once you run a faster shutter, more light is needed.

bluebrush

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you running the cameras on auto/default settings? If so, one could be bouncing between thinking it has enough light or not and dialing them in to eliminate motion blur would probably take care of it because once you run a faster shutter, more light is needed.
Renamed thread title as I may not have explained well. The issue is that the white light stays on all night on the "bad" camera.
The other "good" camera at night has its light off, and then only turns on when a person walks by etc.
I want both cameras to have this motion light on effect. Both cameras are the same model.
Both cameras are on relatively default settings. Profile General, Day/Night mode on auto.
The camera with its light "stuck on" does have a picture with more ambient light as streetlights have illuminated part of the driveway it watches.
I don't see the IVS tripwire trigger flashing so don't think its false readings but potentially more to do with an auto setting like you mention?
Could it be that in my settings, the "bad camera" thinks its a cloudy day (at night) and so keeps light on to maintain daytime colour image? And I need to force it to think its night time etc?

A and J

n3wb
Reaction score
What actually triggers the white light to come on when dark?
I have two cameras and find one has good behaviour with the illuminator, but the other keeps the illuminator on all the time, might go off for a second but quickly comes back.
All cameras run the same firmware, both use IVS with IVS smart plan on the camera, both have smart illuminator selected in settings.
I can't see anything breaking the intrusion zones on live feed- this is when there is no real movement (people/cars) going by.
Hi bluebrush, did you ever resolve this? We are having the same problem with the same model camera. We have 6 of them and only 1 is doing this. The illuminator is on all the time at night and every 60 seconds it tries to switch to IR, and straight away switches back to the illuminator.

There is no motion. No streetlights. It is just on the side of our house.

We've replaced the camera and the new one is doing the same thing.

A and J

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the light bouncing off a wall its mounted on? I have seen this myself on same model, there was too much wall in the image, moved it out and sorted it
No the camera is not looking at the wall, but it is looking at a solid white fence, a boat, a flat lawn area out in front of it (green grass). The fence is about 1.2m high running down one side of the image.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
No the camera is not looking at the wall, but it is looking at a solid white fence, a boat, a flat lawn area out in front of it (green grass). The fence is about 1.2m high running down one side of the image.
Can you post a screen capture from the night? The solid white fence and/or boat may be your issue.

hpeter1994

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm joining the conversation. Same error on a IPC-HFW2449T-AS-IL-0360B. I thought faulty camera and replaced it on Monday it worked fine for one day and today started to do the same thing again.
The moment anything smart is turned on the events tab the illimunator goes on, waits for its turn-off delay, then switches back on after 1 second of IR.
I tried settings zones in the motion detection tab. Nothing. Tried setting sensitivity in the Smart Motion detection tab. Nothing. Switched off Smart Motion Detect, then IR stays on even if actual movement is happening. Not the desired outcome again. I even tried the IVS settings, but if ANYTHIGN is enabled, light stays on.
The logs are no help at all. I'm only getting event triggers for actual IRL movements. Nothing for the light switching on. So the actual smart detection works, but something else is also triggering the light.
The previois camera was upgraded to a newer firmware. Still doing the same. I purposefuly not upgraded this one (default was a december firmware), still doing it. Installed a may version, still happening. I'm stumped. I have 2 more of these cameras on the same property and it works as intended.
Screen capture included, but i dont see any too bright or too reflective spots that would explain to me this behaviour.

kamera.png

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm joining the conversation. Same error on a IPC-HFW2449T-AS-IL-0360B. I thought faulty camera and replaced it on Monday it worked fine for one day and today started to do the same thing again.
The moment anything smart is turned on the events tab the illimunator goes on, waits for its turn-off delay, then switches back on after 1 second of IR.
I tried settings zones in the motion detection tab. Nothing. Tried setting sensitivity in the Smart Motion detection tab. Nothing. Switched off Smart Motion Detect, then IR stays on even if actual movement is happening. Not the desired outcome again. I even tried the IVS settings, but if ANYTHIGN is enabled, light stays on.
The logs are no help at all. I'm only getting event triggers for actual IRL movements. Nothing for the light switching on. So the actual smart detection works, but something else is also triggering the light.
The previois camera was upgraded to a newer firmware. Still doing the same. I purposefuly not upgraded this one (default was a december firmware), still doing it. Installed a may version, still happening. I'm stumped. I have 2 more of these cameras on the same property and it works as intended.
Screen capture included, but i dont see any too bright or too reflective spots that would explain to me this behaviour.

View attachment 171192
The leaves on the the trees may be causing the issue. When the wind blows them, they may reflect back brighter, causing the camera to adjust.

Have you tried swapping cameras with one you haven't had an issue with?

Wiktor

n3wb
Reaction score

badboynz

n3wb
Reaction score

View attachment 171192
so i guessing all your cameras are the same firmware? and could this simply be your environment that's the issue rather than a faulty Camera? more importantly did you resolve it?

hpeter1994

n3wb
Reaction score
The leaves on the the trees may be causing the issue. When the wind blows them, they may reflect back brighter, causing the camera to adjust.

Have you tried swapping cameras with one you haven't had an issue with?
That was my first thought, but the SMD is supossed to filter out exactly this. Also checked a wider timeslot, it happened without any air movement. Zero randomness in it.

About changing the camera: No and yes. i did not mess with the existing working ones, i bought another one and replaced the problematic one with the new one. Same issues.

I had the same problem, random cameras did not work correctly but the others were good. After a long time Dahua support from poland sent me a solution for this, it is custom firmware.
In original firmware led is triggering by smd, in custom firmware led is triggering by ivs rule

THANK YOU! I installed it 2 days ago and it looks like its working. Looking back (and since then checking another forum post here) i think the actual issue was that:
1. What you said, that it was using SMD no matter what settings.
2. SMD does not take the detection zone into consideration. It checks the whole picture, and probably saw the car behind the trees, and triggered the light. Then realized its outside its zone and and did not log the event in the logs. Or something like that.... Hard to say without any feedback from the camera......

so i guessing all your cameras are the same firmware? and could this simply be your environment that's the issue rather than a faulty Camera? more importantly did you resolve it?
I tried various firmware versions, but yes at the start of the problem all of them had the newest firmware. Currently i installed the firmware from Wiktor, disabled Motion Detect alltogether, and only using IVS inclusion zone, with Smart Illumination, and so far it works as expected.

A and J

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, we have had all the same issues. Even tried to adjust the illuminator settings on the camera, Didn't work. Will be good if the firmware from Poland works. But obviously these cameras are faulty and Dahua needs to do a recall. We had our system installed by a security firm in Tauranga and they have given up trying to fix this issue. They cant fix it. Saying things like 'its the environment' to try and absolve themselves somehow of a faulty product. Needless to say we wouldn't be prepared to go installing different firmware as this may void our warranty which we will be taking full advantage of in the Disputes tribunal and will be asking for a full refund. I would say to anyone on this site be wary of these security firms that are wanting their customers to chase their tails fixing issues that they should be fixing. They are happy to take your money for install and product and tell you they have warranties, but then when it comes to honoring the warranties, its another story.

badboynz

n3wb
Reaction score
can someone suggest what the issue is in the following video link? , this customer had installed 5x of these HDW2249TM-S-IL cameras and 1 camera in particular (boat camera-D1) at night was randomly switching between I/R and colour, customer says its faulty, so we replaced the camera with another new one and it randomly doing the same, however-we put this so called customers original faulty camera up on our premises and its working perfectly fine and as per the customers settings, I finding it hard to believe the customer saying its a faulty camera, when their original cam is working perfectly as it should do, so any help to his issue in the video-particularly with D1 Boat cam pic and settings?

Last edited: