Dahua Side Mounting On Wall Using PFB203W?

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS and planning to mount it on the wall on the side of the house. I saw there is a mount designed for it the PFB203W. I'm wondering what benefit is there to using this mount versus just orienting the camera sideways and mount that way. The camera I have is a turret eyeball style and it can rotate to the position I want. I found a picture of a HIKVISION camera side mounted and it seems to look fine.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cable management is one reason.

If you mount the camera directly to the wall (which plenty of people do), you’ll have to drill a hole in the wall around 3/4” to fit the waterproof barrel that’s built-in to the end of the camera’s Ethernet jack because there is no room behind the camera to leave that cable.

If you get a junction box, you can drill a much smaller hole in the wall (just big enough to pull an unterminated Ethernet cable through). Terminate it once it’s outside, then it and the bulky camera cables fit inside the box.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks that's a good point I forgot to think about how I am going to tuck that waterproof barrel in. So inside the PFB203W there is plenty of space to fit the barrel? My Cat6 cable is coming from outside along the wall so I won't be drilling a hole for the wire. I see the PFB203W has a rubber piece on the side and removing that will allow the cable to go in from the side.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I literally just installed a Dahua turret (replacing an old, wireless bullet) using the PFB203W. I had the same debate, but opted for the junction box because it looks better (in my opinion), and is more resistant to water issues (cable size hole as mentioned above, vs 3/4"). Plenty of room in the base to hold the cable, and I feel that the way the junction box mount to the house also nets to being more resistant to water penetration. I used a small piece of electricians putty around the cable entry point.

I went with the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, the camera you selected was my other option (both fit that junction box).