Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 fast playback help

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but i just stated messing with the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 that i put in our small office. How do i review the video remotely in high speed? I can use the web interface, and i discovered that I can add it a device in SpartPSS 2, where it shows up as a device type NVR. What i have noticed is on the web interface 2x is the fastest it wil go, with 8x actually being 1x if you watch the time stamp. With SmartPSS, it appears that the stream is limited to 10mbps, which is about 5x for me for one stream, which is better. It appears that only the main stream is recorded, so switching to sub does not fix the bandwidth limit equation.

I am trying to find out who left a door open, and have no triggers or other changes to hop to/from.

What am i doing wrong??

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can only pass on what works for me. I'm running 10 fps and look at only one camera at a time. The maximum speeds of 16x on the web interface and 8x on smartPss work fairly well.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use 10fps as well.

@tigerwillow1 , are you getting more than 10mbps?

I went into the office to try it there (vs VPN). I am having a harder time on the LAN with my win10 Bootcamp MacBPro. If i use Chrome, i get no video. If i use the latest IE, the display window is frozen inside the UI GUI on the preview and Playback tabs sop as to be unusable. I see no way to drag the display sub window or resize it, and changing the IE zoom window zoom setting does not seem to help. see pic. upload_2017-7-17_9-44-38.png

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
shouldn't fast forward drop frames vs they to send them all along? i would think 16x would send one frame in 16 with ~the same bit rate, and allow much higher numbers like 128x.

SmartPSS does not seem to display more than one camera at a time from the NVR. it looks like it is trying, but all but one is black. Am i messing something up there as well?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I use 10fps as well.

@tigerwillow1 , are you getting more than 10mbps?
I'm reporting the numbers without any opinion if they make sense or not. Some of the cameras run about 4mbps live, and some about 2.3mbps live, but they all give about the same numbers on playback. (Numbers rounded down to even mbps rates):

1/2x - 2
1x - 4
2x - 8
4x - 16
8x - 11

This is with smartPss.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Consider using motion detection and then playback just MD to fast find.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am still struggling with speeding up recordings through smartPSS. There must be a way to actually get recordings to zoom along on the display like every other type of recorder that i ahve ever used. Is this just buggy software, or is it that i am totally not doing something right? When i go from 1X to anything greater than 1X, the speed up is at most 50% faster. What seems to happen is the bit rate goes up until it can not keep up, capping at around 10MB/s. What is strange is that going from 1X (1.5Mb/s) to 8x at ~ 10Mb/s makes almost no difference in seconds per second displayed. Is there something else i need to do either on the recording side or on the playback side to get this to actually go by fast?

Does BI have this same issue? Or does 16X actually allow 16 min of recording to be viewed in 60 seconds and stay under a normal bandwidth?