Dahua nvr5216-16p-4ks2e defaults random camera names after reboot

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an nvr5216-16p-4ks2e and for the past few months I noticed that every time I reboot it (which I have it setup to do on a weekly basis), it loses random camera names and resets them to the default channel 1, channel 2, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? As I mentioned, the defaults are totally random. Different channels get defaulted every time so there is no consistency as to which ones. I have tried setting the channel names from the camera interfaces directly to no avail. So it seems the problem is originating from the NVR rather than the cameras.

I am currently on firmware v4.001.0000006.1, build date 5-10-21
But I had the same issue on the most recent which is build date 7-9-21I

UPDATE: 4/9/2022
I Updated firmware to DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.002.0000000.2.R.220120 and it has solved the camera name change issue. Unfortunately Dahua pulled this firmware from their downloads page which kind of concerns me a bit.

Last edited:

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

I am using the same NVR and have the same firmware as you. Previously I had the one from 02/08/2021
System VersionV4.001.0000006.1, Build Date: 2021-05-10

I don't reboot my NVR much but there have been times when I have (power outage and/or troubleshooting) and I do not recall having any issues with the channels. Do you mean the camera names instead? The camera names are also ok for me after reboot. There is no option that I can see to add a channel name, just the camera name.

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I mean the camera name. In the NVR it will default to ie. Channel 1, Channel 2, etc after reboot

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I see. I just initiated a reboot. NVR came back up. Logged in, checked camera name, looks ok.

Do you change the camera name from SmartPSS? I find that sometimes when I use SmartPSS, it can mess things up (I'm not sure why exactly).
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.30.47 PM.png

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I change camera names from either the NVR itself or web browser. I do not use SmartPSS.
I just defaulted the NVR to factory settings and renamed my cameras. Upon rebooting, one of them has already changed from “Foyer” to “channel 11”. Not sure what’s going on here.

Update: I changed that one camera name back and rebooted 4 more times and the camera names held. I’m now thinking that maybe after defaulting the NVR and changing the cam names that maybe I forgot to change that channel11 camera. Anyhow, it seems a lot better if not completely fixed now since defaulting the NVR.

Thank you @generallinq for helping and giving me clues based on your experience. When you went though the trouble of testing yours and verifying it did not have this issue, it led my to the thought of defaulting my NVR. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spoke too soon. Problem with the camera names changing is back with a vengeance. I have no idea what’s going on here and what changed.

Update: I got to thinking what could cause it to work fine for the first few hours after defaulting the NVR and then go back to losing the camera names so I decided to format the HDD. It appears that the NVR re-indexes the HDD after it is defaulted. I figured it may be picking up default camera names based on what it indexes from the HDD.

So far so good. It’s been about 6 hours and camera names have held even after several reboots. Only time will tell if this is the solution or not. I’ll wait a while before concluding the problem is solved and will report back here.

Update 2: Nope!! That didn’t do it. No sooner did I post the above message it did it again. Upon reboot it defaulted one of the camera names.

Last edited:

bbadger187

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone ever fixed this? I experience the same thing. I restart my NVR daily and some days are fine and other days one or more cameras changed names.

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone ever fixed this? I experience the same thing. I restart my NVR daily and some days are fine and other days one or more cameras changed names.
Nope, still have the same problem. I reboot once per week and still continue to have same problem. @EMPIRETECANDY can you look into this with engineers for us?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using Internet Explorer (IE) to make the changes to the NVR via the web interface?

If not... try using IE

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Used internet explorer as well as the NVR itself. Same result.

bbadger187

n3wb
Reaction score
For whatever reason, if I don't restart daily it randomly will freeze up and everything will stop recording.. it could be a day, couple days or a week, but eventually will just stop recording.. to fix the problem, I just have a daily reset

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For whatever reason, if I don't restart daily it randomly will freeze up and everything will stop recording.. it could be a day, couple days or a week, but eventually will just stop recording.. to fix the problem, I just have a daily reset
Sounds like you may have bigger issues than the camera names.
I know you can go into the camera's web GUI and update the name there too...maybe there is a conflict and the NVR is not pushing the update correctly to the cameras?
I know a lot of folks here advise to make any changes for the cameras on the web GUI of the camera itself, with Internet Explorer.
I have a new Dahua NVR I will be setting up this weekend and swapping a tempt rebranded NVR with it.
I have a spare lower quality camera...before I start putting the permanent config on my NVR, I will do some testing.
I know the name update between the NVR GUI and camera GUI itself seem quite different.
I will report back what I find.

bbadger187

n3wb
Reaction score
Everything worked fine until I upgraded to the new firmware 4.0 or whatever of the NVR.. so all of the problems started with the new firmware

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Everything worked fine until I upgraded to the new firmware 4.0 or whatever of the NVR.. so all of the problems started with the new firmware
Interesting.
I wonder if you'll still have the same freezing/not recording after you've reset the NVR and reformatted the HDD...is that problem still occurring?

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tend to make any updates on the camera gui directly rather than the NVR if possible as I came across a few inconsistencies in the past between interfaces.

Everyone mentions IE but I don’t even know where you find IE anymore on a newer system. It’s EDGE now I think.

if my NVR required a daily reboot I’d go nuts. Try rolling back the firmware,test and if all is good maybe even reapply the firmware if there is a reason you need that firmware and test again. If same issue, then maybe wait until another firmwareis released. I tend to hold off on having the larest firmware. When I first setup the NVR I was always upgrading but I don’t think its needed.

bbadger187

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't find the older firmware to roll back.. and a daily reboot isn't the worst thing

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I know you can go into the camera's web GUI and update the name there too...maybe there is a conflict and the NVR is not pushing the update correctly to the cameras?
If I'm not mistaken, the labeling in the posted a screenshot of are moreso helpful when navigating the GUI and/or smartPSS app. You might be able to see the label defined in each individual camera, but not unless you were looking at the live or recorded frame of the respective camera. I do not believe this data from these fields get pushed to the cams

Last edited: