Dahua NVR suggestions.

Ryan9392

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at buying 2 x IPC-HFW4239T-ASE-0360 camera's. I could possibly add additional camera's in the future. So looking at getting an 8 channel dahua NVR. Can never see myself having more than 8 camera's. The camera's that I'm looking at getting have the IVS feature and I would like the NVR to support that feature.

I'm hoping to get push notifications sent through my phone so most of the viewing will be done through that.

It will be in my lounge connected to my TV so would like have a quiet fan on it.

I will also be wanting to use POE injectors as will make the install a lot easier.

Any suggestions on NVR's would be greatly appreciated greatly.

Cheers

Ryan

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ryan

Couple of thoughts on this for you:

1) Would definitely recommend you look at the x5442 cams instead. Both myself and others have reviewed many iterations of this cam and they really are superb. Therefore if you haven't purchased yet then I would highly recommend you look at these. They are available in different form factors for you as well depending on your install location need and or preference.

2) You mention using POE injectors. Any reason you are not considering just running POE+ from the NVR to the cams ? Thats not to say you also don't have other options such as separate POE+ switch (managed or unmanaged) if you don't want POE on the NVR just wondering if you considered this and the reasoning behind the injectors for your install. Also remember that if you run the cams to a separate POE switch then you can have the NVR located anywhere as it will only be attaching to the cams by IP rather than having to have them direct into the back of the NVR. This can assist when looking at install locations of cameras vs that desired location of the NVR.

3) Push notifications are supported by the platform so whether you push this from an NVR or connect through mobile app these are available. With that said, you will absolutely want to lock down your system so make sure you are willing to put the time and effort into configuring your firewall (even consumer routers allow elements of customization in this regard relative to the product and level), VPN access for full lockdown (with ability to connect to your system securely when remote) and if you have a more managed system then even consideration of security VLAN as well. The reason I mention these here are not only because they are an important security factor that a lot of people overlook but also because they can impact external (to LAN) facing notifications etc so wanted you to be aware.

4) When it comes to a standalone NVR then the Dahua 5xxx series (not the I version) would be my recommendation. Now obviously the 5208 immediately jumps to mind as you mentioned 8 channels. However I am an advocate for going higher than you think you'll need therefore would recommend the 5216. With most security installs people generally need more cameras than they might think initially (choke points, entrance/exits, specific problem areas, larger coverage area needing more than 1 camera etc). Therefore you might want to consider investing in the 16 channel now so you have the ability to expand later. Either way, both come with option for POE depending on your final decision.

HTH

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at buying 2 x IPC-HFW4239T-ASE-0360 camera's. I could possibly add additional camera's in the future. So looking at getting an 8 channel dahua NVR. Can never see myself having more than 8 camera's. The camera's that I'm looking at getting have the IVS feature and I would like the NVR to support that feature.

I'm hoping to get push notifications sent through my phone so most of the viewing will be done through that.

It will be in my lounge connected to my TV so would like have a quiet fan on it.

I will also be wanting to use POE injectors as will make the install a lot easier.

Any suggestions on NVR's would be greatly appreciated greatly.

Cheers

Ryan

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Coronavirus

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ryan9392

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Wildcat.

Appreciate your lengthy detailed reply.

1) the reason I was looking into the HFW-4239 camera's was because I like the full colour side to it. The reviews and videos compared to other cameras it seemed to be a very good camera. There's no doubt in my mind that there are better suited camera's out there. But for that price it seemed like a good camera. The camera you suggested looks like a very good camera as well. But is almost double the price. My house is quite small and the land I need to cover is even smaller. The two areas that the cameras will be looking at has PIR sensor lighting already. So was hoping it would work well with these cameras. Just didn't want to spend too much on system that I won't be using to it's full capacity.

2) the reason behind my thoughts on a POE injector is because I've read somewhere on here that NVR without POE has more features and easier to set up? Also if I use injectors from my 1st floor sockets straight out the wall then Its an easier install with less cables having to be run through the house. Haven't looked into a POE switch. Something else I can look into.

3) I will be honest and say a lot of that didn't make sense to me. A lot of abbreviations I will need to look up and understand.

4)Many thanks I'll take a look at those models. I'll price up both and see what the difference is. I do like to future proof but I'll see how much that will cost.

Appreciate everyone else's help and suggestions so far as well

Ryan

Couple of thoughts on this for you:

1) Would definitely recommend you look at the x5442 cams instead. Both myself and others have reviewed many iterations of this cam and they really are superb. Therefore if you haven't purchased yet then I would highly recommend you look at these. They are available in different form factors for you as well depending on your install location need and or preference.

2) You mention using POE injectors. Any reason you are not considering just running POE+ from the NVR to the cams ? Thats not to say you also don't have other options such as separate POE+ switch (managed or unmanaged) if you don't want POE on the NVR just wondering if you considered this and the reasoning behind the injectors for your install. Also remember that if you run the cams to a separate POE switch then you can have the NVR located anywhere as it will only be attaching to the cams by IP rather than having to have them direct into the back of the NVR. This can assist when looking at install locations of cameras vs that desired location of the NVR.

3) Push notifications are supported by the platform so whether you push this from an NVR or connect through mobile app these are available. With that said, you will absolutely want to lock down your system so make sure you are willing to put the time and effort into configuring your firewall (even consumer routers allow elements of customization in this regard relative to the product and level), VPN access for full lockdown (with ability to connect to your system securely when remote) and if you have a more managed system then even consideration of security VLAN as well. The reason I mention these here are not only because they are an important security factor that a lot of people overlook but also because they can impact external (to LAN) facing notifications etc so wanted you to be aware.

4) When it comes to a standalone NVR then the Dahua 5xxx series (not the I version) would be my recommendation. Now obviously the 5208 immediately jumps to mind as you mentioned 8 channels. However I am an advocate for going higher than you think you'll need therefore would recommend the 5216. With most security installs people generally need more cameras than they might think initially (choke points, entrance/exits, specific problem areas, larger coverage area needing more than 1 camera etc). Therefore you might want to consider investing in the 16 channel now so you have the ability to expand later. Either way, both come with option for POE depending on your final decision.

HTH

Last edited:

Ryan9392

n3wb
Reaction score
Many thanks on the tip and I'm already looking at purchasing through Andy.

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Coronavirus

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Ryan9392

No problem, we're all happy to help here where we can.

1) While Full Color is ok, you have to be careful. A lot of people think this is a solve all and will work for any install/environment while providing color. This still relies on a good quality scene (lighting, configuration of camera etc) to capture usable footage. A lot of people think that Full Color means you don't need to take those things into account but you do, regardless of camera. The install location, configuration and setup is key. Similarly don't leave it on Auto as you will see motion blur, smearing, artifacts and lower overall quality unless you setup correctly. With regards to your PIR lighting, that can work but has to be decent light. You also again need to be careful if you are using Auto Exposure (which I strongly advise against) as the camera will be sitting there with no light (and whatever picture can be derived from your scene), then you would see an abundance (depending on bulb etc) of light when the sensor trips on the PIR and can cause a bloom (sudden over exposure) scene (albeit short) which again could ruin your chances of a required capture.

With regards to cameras, it certainly is your choice and will depend on your budget for sure. Again, if you can stretch to x5442's I would recommend those and then plan based on your install to either support full color if your amount of available light allows and if not you will still have an amazing B&W low light experience. Best case and something I would recommend is, if 2 cams are covering 1 location (from different angles / positions such as driveways, entrances etc) then you can always have 1 in B&W, 1 in Color ensuring that you always get a good cap (B&W) at night with some color information for details such as clothing, vehicle etc should you need it.

2) As @looney2ns mentioned, there are no feature benefits of POE over non POE except.........POE :). Personally I'm a strong advocate for separate POE switches (even Dahua sells standalone POE switches should you want to go that way) and in my case I advocate for managed switches (Ubiquiti, Cisco etc). Separate POE switches allow you to have the POE switch where you like (basement, attic, office, etc etc) with cams running to a central location (that POE switch) and then the NVR separately, usually nestled next to a monitoring station (business) OR TV in a residential setup. If you really want to get adventurous OR have an interesting install location and a defined need, you can have smaller leaf POE switches leading back to your main BUT for most residential then 1 POE switch (your choice of manufacturer and managed or dumb device) with enough POE capacity for the cams you are running is more than enough and does again gain you some flexibility.

3) Please review the Cliff Notes as @looney2ns stated and if there is something that you still need help with then feel free to reach out.

Hi Wildcat.

Appreciate your lengthy detailed reply.

1) the reason I was looking into the HFW-4239 camera's was because I like the full colour side to it. The reviews and videos compared to other cameras it seemed to be a very good camera. There's no doubt in my mind that there are better suited camera's out there. But for that price it seemed like a good camera. The camera you suggested looks like a very good camera as well. But is almost double the price. My house is quite small and the land I need to cover is even smaller. The two areas that the cameras will be looking at has PIR sensor lighting already. So was hoping it would work well with these cameras. Just didn't want to spend too much on system that I won't be using to it's full capacity.

2) the reason behind my thoughts on a POE injector is because I've read somewhere on here that NVR without POE has more features and easier to set up? Also if I use injectors from my 1st floor sockets straight out the wall then Its an easier install with less cables having to be run through the house. Haven't looked into a POE switch. Something else I can look into.

3) I will be honest and say a lot of that didn't make sense to me. A lot of abbreviations I will need to look up and understand.

4)Many thanks I'll take a look at those models. I'll price up both and see what the difference is. I do like to future proof but I'll see how much that will cost.

Appreciate everyone else's help and suggestions so far as well

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am at this point now. Have my PoE dahua nvr and cameras setup. The nvr puts the cameras on a subnet separate from my home network. Great! On my router, I have blocked nvr from being able to access the internet. Of course now I cannot get push notifications and am not having much luck figuring out how to configure my router/firewall to block the nvr and still allow for apple push notifications.

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
premature post above.

I get that locking things down as much as possible is a good idea. But not sure I understand the need to prevent the nvr from having internet access. i.e. how is the nvr that is behind my router any more vulnerable/less secure than any of my pc's that are also behind the firewall? Or is the concern more that the nvr may 'phone home'?