Dahua NVR - Skipping/Choppy Video

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a client with a NVR in the field - it is a 32CH Dahua 4K NVR (Model #: DHI-NVR6A08-32-4KS2) - it has 8 separate 6TB skyhawk surveillance HD's. 21 Cameras connected - the majority 4MP turrets, 3x 4K vari-focal bullets, and 3x 180 degree Dahua cams (4x2MP image sensors)

It is on a private network... it has absolutely no connection to the outside world - and the client wants it that way.

Client is complaining of skipping during live and playback modes.

All channels are set to 25 FPS recording and play.

any ideas on what I can do to help them?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a bandwidth issue.

Lower the FPS. Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS...

Also, keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these cameras at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. As always, YMMV...

So try 15 FPS and increase from there until it is choppy, but they may find 15 FPS is sufficient. And look at bitrates.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a bandwidth issue.

Lower the FPS. Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS...

Also, keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these cameras at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. As always, YMMV...

So try 15 FPS and increase from there until it is choppy, but they may find 15 FPS is sufficient. And look at bitrates.
Trust me - this is a bit of an overbearing client - they insisted on 25fps - I wouldn't of made it that way otherwise. I'll try 15fps.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I get the overbearing client LOL.

Maybe try 25 FPS for the substream and lower the mainstream a tad.

It probably doesn't need to be much and they are probably just on the verge of finding the balance.

Or maybe even the bitrate.

Although that NVR should be capable of handling it...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It may just be the playback/live view capability of the NVR.

Try downloading a clip, I’m betting the actual recording is just fine. This is also why I like using SmartPSS for live/playback. It will default stream the substream, and go to full stream when you choose an individual camera, then back. I’ve got 2 buddies running 16-24 4MP 5442’s on a 5232 and 5216 no problem at 8192 bitrate and 30 fps
(I run substream at 15fps and 512-1024)

Like a pc, an NVR can use a regular reboot. Try setting auto reboot for 2-3 times per week.

Last edited:

Billywho

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I upgraded to the 5432-16p-i per Andy, lowered to 15fps, upgraded firmware, downgraded firmware, reset nvr, reset cameras the glitch is still there. Downloaded video still jitters. Mine are just for home so it's not a huge deal but the stream from the camera itself is smooth. I tested a flash card in the camera and it's smooth. 19 cameras in total. I'm about to build a new house and I'm looking for something else if someone has recomendations.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Something’s not right. I have a buddy with a 5432 running 22 cameras, mix of 2 and 4 MP all at 8192 and 30 fps no problems

Make sure you are NOT running H.265

Billywho

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Raid 1. I have changed the setting to H.264 and 15fps. I has improved but still choppy. I'm going to pull the drives and test them on a pc and see if I find errors.

Thanks for the input

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 3849 TIOC is a problem camera so not surprised it can't work with a feature correctly...

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The biggest problem with HFW3849T1 is that the DRAM configuration is too small.
8MP requires 1GB of RAM.
But this one is only 512MB.
So if you want to use the TIOC series cam.
I would recommend choosing the HFW3549T1