Dahua NVR recommendation for 5 x 2MP cameras?

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a hardware recommendation.

I will be installing 5, 2MP Dahua cameras. I need a suitable NVR.

Access will only be remote.

I'm thinking of a PoE unit for now. I can always add a switch in later, but I have to leave the US in about a week for Australia and install in there a short space of time, so on this first trip I might only have time to learn a basic setup before I come back a second time and finish it. I only have HikVision experience but I want to try Dahua.

US unit? Delivery time? Chinese unit and have it sent directly to Australia? I'll have to do that for the cameras anyway.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just pick a good 2 disk international model, I would suggest a 16ch as it will give you more headroom for more cameras and the cost is negligible.. with 2 very large disks you could record continuously for a month straight if you wanted.. if this is a place you need more storage then you might want to cough up for a 4 disk model.

4216-4k or the bit newer 4216-4ks2 should both be good candidates.. if your doing the starlight cameras the'll handle the h265 codec if you want to use that, should allow even more storage capabilities.

Depending on import fees it may be cheaper to carry it in your self if possible; confirm with sellers about stock status and eta on delivery.. USA has no duty fees below $800

deeuubee

n3wb
Reaction score
I just finished the same search, and I know just enough to get me in trouble.

The Dahua NVR 5216-4ks2 was said to be better for the starlight cameras by one of the vendors here on IPCAM.
The specs (which I got from the Dahua site) were better than the 4216 and the price wasn't much more from the usual online sources.
So, that's what I'm ordering.

My research found that (searching on AliExpress) specs for the same model varied quite a bit.
It seems like some vendors post the new specs for both old and new models.

The one consistent difference I found between the model 4216-16P and the new 4216-16P-4ks2 is that the 4ks2 is quad core while the older model is dual core.

I doubt you will get anything delivered to you in the states from China in less than a week.
You might find one on a US site, but you'll pay a lot more for it, and the model numbers will be different.
I have no idea about customs charges in Aussie land.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for one.

The house 5 doors down from me just got burgled. Literally an hour ago. The cops have swarmed the street. The owner saw them in his living room on his camera before they pulled the feed.

So much for the preventative nature of cameras...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So much for the preventative nature of cameras...
they have never been preventive, cameras wont bite you in the ass like a dog will.. and only with always connected smartphones can they even be reactive, its like being your own security guard always on duty.. but had he been in an elevator or somewhere that signal would not have came in it would have been even less effective as they would had been long gone before anyone realized it.

deeuubee

n3wb
Reaction score
Bummer for your neighbor.

Cameras are only a part of home security, and they are only supplemental.
You might catch a crackhead's face on camera, but if it was planned, their faces will be covered anyway.
You'd be surprised how many people have (cheap) cameras in their house thinking they're secure and still leave the doors and windows unlocked.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
100% agree. We used to have a German Shepherd. His bark alone was enough to make any thief go "Okay, next house."

But due to the earth shattering house prices in our neighborhood, we rent. Sadly, there isn't a landlord here that would ever accept a dog.

Also agree with your points on mobile. Best case is you get to watch the burglars leaving with your stuff. That's what the owner down the street watched. And as you probably know, HikVision's mobile app is next to useless for notifications.

The Europeans have got it all figured out. I was in England, France and Italy in August. Everywhere we went, there were big, thick impenetrable bars on all downstairs windows. Tastefully curled steel to match the era of the houses, but no messing around. Even the eyelets where the bolts went into the stone were buried by a layer of cement. Many of the doors had special two pronged, pick resistant locks. One apartment I rented in Florence had 8 steel bars that went into concrete holes on all four sides of the door when you locked it, much like a safe. An apartment in Paris had a three stage entry system. One door with a pin pad on it that allowed entry to a vestibule where the mailboxes were located. There was a camera in there that allowed owners to buzz people through the next door, otherwise you needed a key. Then the final door to the apartment. Yep, the Europeans have it down pat. They've figured it our through years of being done over by street thieves. Plus the French laws almost encourage it. Physical security first. Lots of steel. Cameras are just a backup.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't seem to find the 5216-4ks2 for sale anywhere...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
cctv-mall has it for sale for $193
wholesale NVR5216-4KS2 price - buy DAHUA NVR5216-4KS2, 16 Channel 1U DAHUA NVR5216-4KS2 Network Video Recorder Support 4K and H.265 review
http://www.cctv-mall.com/nvr5216-4ks2-dahua-nvr5216-4ks2-8-channel-4k-and-h-265-code-decoding-dahua-network-video-recorder-with-onvif-version-2-4-conformance
I dealt with them a few months ago and was pleased with their service and communications. That said, likely 3 weeks before you'll see it. "In Stock" doesn't seem to translate well in Chinese...

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. The wait time was a bit long but I could handle it.

I think I might actually go with the Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2. I don't see myself ever needing 16 ports but I do want PoE for now. A switch might be in my future.

I saw that model on Empire at AliExpress as I see that people give them a high rating. But it's a bit odd. The Dahua site says H.265 yet the Empire site has a different photo and says H.264. A bit of a worry when specs and photos don't match. These vendors have so many products listed, you wonder if they are advertising the right model.

It's the same old story with the pros and cons of buying direct from China vs. in the US.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the 8 port models wont take more than 8 cameras; even if you plug in an external switch.. when your already at 5; hitting 8 is not so hard as time goes on and more events happen that you didnt have on video.

Even for a 4 camera install I'd purchase a 16port NVR..

deeuubee

n3wb
Reaction score
Bigredfish- I don't believe that one is a POE. It should have a -16P in the model number for POE.
Their 16 channel POE model is a lot more.
Like I was saying earlier, Confirm the model number and price with them before ordering.
(don't forget to add shipping)
A lot of things get lost in translation.

Here's where I'm ordering from:

Dahua 16/32CH 1U 16PoE 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder NVR5216 16P 4KS2 NVR5232 16P 4KS2-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even for a 4 camera install I'd purchase a 16port NVR..
A reasonable point.

With 4 or 5 cameras planned, I honestly don't think I will ever have the need for more than that.

Hardware is so cheap these days that if, in a couple of years, I was proven wrong and needed more ports, that a new NVRs then would probably be cheap and come with much more advanced hardware and software than today's model.

I'll look at the prices and consider it. Thanks for the suggestion. In reality, hardware cost is not that big a deal. It's cabling. In Australia, gardeners get $50 an hour. Electricians $90. So running 100 yards of conduit under a roof with no crawl space having to lift up and refit probably 15 panels of sheet metal will cost me far more than all the equipment combined. My quotes for the installation and supply of crappy knock off hardware with 4 cameras was between $6000 and $9000. You can see why the hardware (Which I can't even get in time) is the least of my problems!

I might just do the cabling out there next month and fly back in Feb to install the cameras.

Speaking of costs, did I mention a return economy seat to Australia in December is $3,000? It's just insane. Most expensive ticket in the world.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello Cosmo, I don't know what your house looks like but maybe flat Cat 6 in white would help. My roof is not accessible, so I'm planning on going up vertical on the external corners and slipping it under the vinyl corner trim. Sold on Amazon.com I ordered the 5216 also, but from Eziview store on Aliexpress. Still waiting to ship. BJ

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The roofing is known as Colorbond, which is very popular in Australia and easy to lay. Colorbond is thin flat sheet which is corrugated so you can stand on it then dipped in zinc to stop it rusting then prepainted for aesthetics before being cut into various sizes. Typically a sheet is about 3-4 feet wide and from 10 to 20 feet in length. When laying the roof, the sheets are overlapped one corrugation to keep out rain. The steel is held down with roofing screws. It is quick to apply and can be cut with roofing shears or a grinder. Photo attached. To lay cabling, simply undo maybe 10 roofing screws on one side of the sheet, lift up the edge and run the cable underneath in conduit. Where it becomes a pain is if you have to run the cable across several sheets. Then you have to unscrew all of them, unless you can run the cable up to the top of one sheet where a flat sheet of colorbond capping, called Flashing, runs across all the sheets. Then you just run the cable under the flashing, which can also be lifted up by removing the roofing screws. Or you can use a electricians Tongue, a thin flat, flexible plastic ruler about 10 feet long, which can be threaded under the steel sheets before attaching a cable and pulling it through. Conduit also preferred. I'm flying to Australia on Tuesday and having an electrician come all day on Saturday just to run cable to the five points. I can't get the damn equipment in time from China. The Dahua cameras are back ordered as is the new NVR. I'll have to fly out again in February to install them. Long way to go for an installation.

isbjerg84

n3wb
Reaction score

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so is the consensus to go with the newer 52xx series model due to their support of H.265 encoding if one were to build a new security setup?