Dahua NVR issue

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the NVR5232-16P-4KS2E NVR from Andy. This whole system is from Andy.

I have got this system back in early 2019. Been working perfect until lately and very randomly all the cameras just blank out. You can still see the grid on the screen but the camera pictures are gone and just grayed out.

A little info. I have a 42" TV on the wall so when we are in the main room you can see nice cameras pretty much the whole outside of the house. I use an HDMI Extender from the NVR to the TV via Cat 6.

Back to the issue. Like I said it's very random when the cameras just disappear and you can reboot the NVR and it will come back up all normal.

I programmed the NVR to start rebooting daily but this did not help.

I am thinking the P/S may be going out and the POE just fails??? I thought about getting another power supply for it and swapping it out to see if it fixes the issue.

Also I have never updated anything since I got it from Andy. I have it behind a VPN so I don't find a need to update it when it's been working perfect.

Any other ideas?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can't say that I've had it refuse to display video via HDMI.

I have had it refuse to display via web interface on Dahua branded cameras. But never had issues with cameras on ONVIF.

My guess is the decoding going weird. Play around with your recording settings, like bit rate, and see what happens. Possibly the NVR is receiving a high bit rate and is freaking out until it crashes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the POE power died. can you access the cameras directly via a browser through the NVR ?

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't say that I've had it refuse to display video via HDMI.

I have had it refuse to display via web interface on Dahua branded cameras. But never had issues with cameras on ONVIF.

My guess is the decoding going weird. Play around with your recording settings, like bit rate, and see what happens. Possibly the NVR is receiving a high bit rate and is freaking out until it crashes.
It's not an HDMI issue. NVR still shows grid just camera video is lost. Don't think it's a decoding issue.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe the POE power died. can you access the cameras directly via a browser through the NVR ?
That's what I'm thinking and no I did not try getting access to the cameras after this happens. That would be something to try.

I may setup my fluke oscilloscope up to record on the POE power out and see if the power does trip out.

Funny since I posted this it has not happen again.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not an HDMI issue. NVR still shows grid just camera video is lost. Don't think it's a decoding issue.
That's the same.
Camera video refused via HDMI but the grid still showed up.
When the grid shows up but no cameras tells me that the NVR is having trouble decoding the video.

I think down to decoding because my ONVIF cameras have never had an issue.
Otherwise it's IVS rules playing up.
My NVR doesn't have any IVS, but one camera does. If that camera is set to a trip line [e.g] and NVR is looking for camera alarm to send a notification, it crashes when the event occurs.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does the NVR have built in POE or do you have a separate switch ?. How long do the cameras go offline for (if momentary) ?, they usually take about 1-2 minutes to reboot if they lose power.

What about play back?, is the system recording whilst the cameras appear offline ?

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you go to playback, do you see that the camera had a recording gap during the same time as your issue? Here is an example of when I temporarily disconnected one of my cameras at 14:14 and 14:58.

Attachments

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry guy been busy and don't get on here all the time. You are all right. I added a wireless camera temporary and it seem to cause all the havoc. I removed it and problems gone.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry I did t see this earlier, I was going to suggest IP conflict with another device

Was it by chance a Dahua or amcrest wireless camera? They all default to 192.168.1.108 same as your nvr

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I did t see this earlier, I was going to suggest IP conflict with another device

Was it by chance a Dahua or amcrest wireless camera? They all default to 192.168.1.108 same as your nvr
Dahua camera I got from Andy. Funny I have used it in the system before. Also my NVR is not on the default IP address either.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Still could have been if its set to dhcp it gets a random address each time you plug it in. Just one possibility - I’ve been there ;)

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still could have been if its set to dhcp it gets a random address each time you plug it in. Just one possibility - I’ve been there ;)
Not set to DHCP. I don't setup DHCP for anything on our network.

So not sure what was causing the issue. All the cameras are on there local network and start with 10.1.1.69 and go up from there.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
maybe it's a time to make all updating on the firmware?

Just the NVR and or all the all the cameras? If I update the NVR will I have to re setup everything? like starting from new out of the box?

This is what it's on now. I have never updated anything on the NVR.

Device Type: DHI-NVR5232-16P-4KS2E

Record Channel: 32

System Version: 3.216.0000000.0, Build Date: 2018-05-30

Thanks Andy. :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry guy been busy and don't get on here all the time. You are all right. I added a wireless camera temporary and it seem to cause all the havoc. I removed it and problems gone.
This is most likely what was causing the problem and probably an IP conflict. I don’t think you need to upgrade any firmware.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you go to playback, do you see that the camera had a recording gap during the same time as your issue? Here is an example of when I temporarily disconnected one of my cameras at 14:14 and 14:58.
Yes when it locks up and no cameras are displayed on the screen. there is also a big gap in the recordings.