Dahua NVR firmware update

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I purchased a UK Dahua NVR in 2020 and have tried to update to the latest firmware (DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.001.0000005.1.R.201126 according to the Dahua website) and halfway through "upgrading" it flashes up a quick messgae in red text stating the upgrade failed and then restarts. It comes back up fine and is fully working, but I would like to keep it up to date, but can find no other info on why it fails.

Model DHI-NVR4104HS-P-4KS2/L
Hardware Version v1.0
System Version V4.000.0000001.0, Build Date: 2020-05-28

Can anyone advise on where to look for the cause of the failure? I've tried the following:

1. multiple browsers (Firefox and Chrome)
2. multiple downloads (the zip from the website and the bin from here -> Index of /images/Files/Firmware
3. the oldest update DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000001.2.R.190929.bin and the latest

In the ZIP file, I can see there are also two others files, a u-boot.bin.img file and update.img file and am wondering if these need to be applied first before the bin file, but the update guide I have found mentions nothing about them.

Can anyone advise or point me in the direction of a guide or wiki (I searched but couldn't find one). I will also be looking to do the cameras after this, but want to take my time and not brick my equipment.

Thanks in advance
Michael

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Inspect the contents of the check.img file from the firmware and see if your NVR model number is referenced in it.

Also - any useful info on the NVR log as to why the firmware was rejected?

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
Inspect the contents of the check.img file from the firmware and see if your NVR model number is referenced in it.

Thanks for the quick response Alastair.

I was using the web interface on the NVR so there is no log file that I can see, and the zip doesn't contain a check.img file. I tried opening up the other .img files but nothing I have seems to support the format (Windows, 7-zip). Is there a specific app which supports the Dahua .img files?

Looking at the below post on the forum, this update should support my device as the filename is exactly the same as the one I download from the Dahua website when I browse directly to my device.

Latest new NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_ V4.001.0000005.1.R.201126

Thanks
Michael

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where did you purchase the NVR?

It is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked cameras that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...

And a lot of us here are of the mindset that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! Unless the firmware update is providing something that isn't working on yours, consider leaving as is.

1614546148413.png

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks for the quick response Alastair.

I was using the web interface on the NVR so there is no log file that I can see, and the zip doesn't contain a check.img file. I tried opening up the other .img files but nothing I have seems to support the format (Windows, 7-zip). Is there a specifi app which supports the Dahua .img files?
Where did you purchase the NVR?

It is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked cameras that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...

And a lot of us here are of the mindset that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! Unless the firmware update is providing something that isn't working on yours, consider leaving as is.

1614546148413.png
Hi wittaj,

I bought them from IP Cameras UK as I was directed to them by a UK distributor for Dahua, as they didn't supply direct to consumers. I only found ipcamtalk afterwards, otherwise i'd have bought them here, as the support seems very quick.

I was looking to upgrade as I have 4 cameras (DH-IPC-HFW3549T1P-AS-PV) and the AI detection is detecting the dog when it's set up for IVS/Human Detection only. I've checked the settings multiple times to make sure that this is correct and no other motion detection is enabled, so wondered if a firmware update would fix the issue. I know the AI is on the cameras themselves but I thought i'd take the opportunity to upgrade it all, to make sure a newer camera firmware didn't cause issues with an older NVR firmware.

Thanks
Michael

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Dahua does not sell direct to consumers.

Dahua is starting to rollout a new algorithm. Depending on how old your firmware is, you may be on an older one or simply have the camera angle such that it is picking up a dog as a human.

Does that camera have a global setup? If so, that is how you calibrate it so that it will not pick up a dog.

Is your min object size set to zero? If not, try that.

If it is set to zero and your camera does not have a global config tab, then set a minimum object size just larger than the dog to eliminate that false trigger.

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Wittaj,

The camera details are:

Device Type IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV
System Version V2.800..0000000.17.R, Build Date: 2020-06-20
Algorithm Version 1.0.1

The camera is looking at the back of the house from the garage wall approx. 7 feet high, so only has a small decline from 90 degrees horizontal, so the angle should be fine.

I can't see a global config tab just "Live, Playback, Setting, Alarm, Logout"

On the IVS/Rule config screen, I have the target filter Max Size set to 8191x8191. Are you suggesting I change this to Min Size and try and work out the size of the dog?
Other options set are:

Action -> Appears
Object filter -> effective object -> Human

Thanks
Michael

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Wittaj,

The camera details are:

Device Type IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV
System Version V2.800..0000000.17.R, Build Date: 2020-06-20
Algorithm Version 1.0.1

The camera is looking at the back of the house from the garage wall approx. 7 feet high, so only has a small decline from 90 degrees horizontal, so the angle should be fine.

I can't see a global config tab just "Live, Playback, Setting, Alarm, Logout"

On the IVS/Rule config screen, I have the target filter Max Size set to 8191x8191. Are you suggesting I change this to Min Size and try and work out the size of the dog?
Other options set are:

Action -> Appears
Object filter -> effective object -> Human

Thanks
Michael
OK - I have the 4MP version of that camera and it does not have the global config tab in the IVS setting.

So yes, change the min size to work out the size of the dog.

My neighbor was having the same issue with his dog, so we set a min size and it quit triggering on his dog.

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - I have the 4MP version of that camera and it does not have the global config tab in the IVS setting.

So yes, change the min size to work out the size of the dog.

My neighbor was having the same issue with his dog, so we set a min size and it quit triggering on his dog.
Thanks Wittaj, I'll give it a go. I presume I need to do the following:

Click Min Size radio button
Click on Draw Target level with the Target filter section (not the one level with Pixel Counter)
Draw a size anywhere on the screen approximately dog sized
Click Save

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj, I'll give it a go. I presume I need to do the following:

Click Min Size radio button
Click on Draw Target level with the Target filter section (not the one level with Pixel Counter)
Draw a size anywhere on the screen approximately dog sized
Click Save
Yes, do the min size radio button. Do not be concerned about the pixel counter.

Draw a size anywhere on the screen about the dog size...we took my neighbors dog out where it was triggering the camera and then just drew the min size box around the dog.

Hit save and that should hopefully knock out that false trigger!

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, do the min size radio button. Do not be concerned about the pixel counter.

Draw a size anywhere on the screen about the dog size...we took my neighbors dog out where it was triggering the camera and then just drew the min size box around the dog.

Hit save and that should hopefully knock out that false trigger!
Thanks Wittaj,

I'll try that as soon as the dog comes back from day care :)

Regards
Michael

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
I've made the changes and it looks like this has helped to stop the false positives, but time will tell. In the meantime, the supplier has provided me with the latest firmware for the NVR and cameras, so I've updated the cameras very easily with zero issues, but the firmware (file identical to what I was using) still fails with the progress bar getting to halfway in the NVR web GUI then stating failed and restarting without any impact on the device.

I would still like to diagnose the firmware upgrade issue on this NVR but don't know where to start, as the log entry in the NVR web GUI just states upgrade failed also with no detail whatsoever.

Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing this issue?

Thanks again
Michael

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Michael, I would get some older versions of the fimware from your supplier and apply them sequentially. You wont get from June to the latest in one update. I have experienced this with this model.

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
I've already went back to the earliest I could find that was newer than my current one and it does exactly the same thing as I read trying this in a different post:

DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000001.2.R.190929.bin

I also tried using SmartPSS to do the upgrade as well with the same result.

Thanks
Michael

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Not upport, the 5xx-volt will be ready next week, i need do some testing, and have to make some design on the fw to do the smart IR.

Microboot

n3wb
Reaction score
Any ideas anyone, as I don't really want to factory reset it and try from there?

Thanks
Michael