Dahua NVR "control room" connection, 3 open ports on router

C1AH

n3wb
Reaction score
We are fairly new with the Dahua equipment and would like to know if and how you can safely make a remote connection with a
"control room" in case there is an alarm notification in the middle of the night and people from the "control room" also would like the see the 'live view' of the camera's.

We have gotten the advice to open the following 3 ports on our router:
• port 37777 (from the WAN on the router to Dahua NVR on port 37777)
• port 96 (from the WAN on the router to Dahua NVR on port 80)
• port 554 (on the router to Dahua NVR on port )

With opening these ports the result is that the remote 'live view' of the camera's is working but there is also a side effect.
We get allot of firewall attacks on the various open ports from countries abroad in the middle of the night.

Can someone tell if there is another safe way (besides VPN because we already suggested that but it would take too much time for the control room to establish such a VPN connection) to
remote view the camera's by the contol room ?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
VPN would be your best option. If you had to open ports, you could try and restrict access via IP address of the people that need the access, Also - I can VPN into my network in just a few seconds. Setting up the VPN is not that hard and wouldn't require a great deal of time. Your mileage may vary based on which VPN you choose.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It really depends on which control room (or PAC, seeing you're located in the Netherlands as well) you have. Some PACs can supply you with a special VPN router to connect to your NVR.
I have the same problem and they mostly recommend to open ports, which I think is quite controversial coming from a company specialized in security.

C1AH

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you indicate what PACs are using those special VPN routers and can the specifications be found online ?

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Europac has them and I read somewhere SMC does as well, not sure though, you'd have to call. Also heard good things about RoutIT (KPN) but don't know about their connections methods.

C1AH

n3wb
Reaction score
Now we asked the supplier of the DHI-NVR-128-4KS2 NVR if we could also turn off the port forwarding and use P2P instead. The answer was that the P2P function is turned on because this would not function on a NVR with more then 32 channels. Does anyone know if and how this is related to the number of channels ?