Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z with custom firmware ?

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got two Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras that I bought from EmpireCandy on AliExpress. The both work perfectly fine with the Dahua SmartPSS however although they also work with the Surveillance Software on my QNAP NAS the compatibility between it and the camera seems rather unstable despite these cameras being on the compatibility list, especially the audio recording.

I've contacted QNAP support who by the way work with Dahua directly to incorporate their cameras with QNAP SS (QNAP Integrates Dahua Technology IP Cameras to Increase Flexibility in Surveillance Deployment) and was told that the problem is the unofficial firmware running on my cameras: 2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20

According to Dahua latest official firmware revision was on 20170306

Any ideas why would Andy upload a custom firmware onto these ? Also, is it safe to upgrade the firmware to the one available on the Dahua website? I'm based in the UK, not US.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got two Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras that I bought from EmpireCandy on AliExpress. The both work perfectly fine with the Dahua SmartPSS however although they also work with the Surveillance Software on my QNAP NAS the compatibility between it and the camera seems rather unstable despite these cameras being on the compatibility list, especially the audio recording.

I've contacted QNAP support who by the way work with Dahua directly to incorporate their cameras with QNAP SS (QNAP Integrates Dahua Technology IP Cameras to Increase Flexibility in Surveillance Deployment) and was told that the problem is the unofficial firmware running on my cameras: 2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20

According to Dahua latest official firmware revision was on 20170306

Any ideas why would Andy upload a custom firmware onto these ? Also, is it safe to upgrade the firmware to the one available on the Dahua website? I'm based in the UK, not US.

Thanks
Hi DJKprojects,

Doubt is is a custom unofficial firmware, most likely the most up to date one included with the cameras he has been getting.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Mat,

Are you saying that the latest firmware would be 2017-07-20 but Dahua didn't bother to update their website? Seems rather strange to me that they would dot that :)

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had pretty much the same issue with the 14 firmware not working with my Synology surveillance station. In my case Synology did provide support, and determined that the set resolution command was causing the issue. If I set the resolution in the camera first, and set the nas to the same resolution, it works.

I'm pretty sure it's an official firmware, and also confused as to why they have the 14 firmware in the wild, but an older one on the website. Maybe its a beta and because of known issues the latest on the web is older....

In my case motion detection works better in 14 vs. 7.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Manufacturers, many times don't have the latest firmwares on there site. Samsung TVs, for example are like that.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This has been only just changed as I visited this very page only couple days ago to check and it was R.20170306

JRNAn30

n3wb
Reaction score
Upgraded 6 of Andy supplied IPC-HDW5231R-Z without issue. Disabled auto cloud update after upgrading. Rest of my settings were retained.