Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z firmware

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently using software Version 2.460.0000.10.R, Build Date: 2017-05-23 and wondering if I need to update the firmware?

If yes, where can I obtain the correct/current version (I'm based in the UK).

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check EmpireTech Andy’s sub-forum on this site here. Keep in mind that the same firmware runs in a few different models so it won’t literally be a thread called “5231 firmware”, but I think for the 5232 models the subject usually has the word “Rhea” in it. Scan the first post to make sure 5231 is mentioned, then scan the thread to see if others have run into any issues.

With the newer firmware versions for the 5231 you can do more things in Chrome/Firefox without needing to use IE 11 + the web plugin.

Last edited:

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello ruasonid, here you go.

That should be the product page you require, firmware updates can be found in downloads. And as you're UK based you'd need the PAL version.

And it seems that the firmware that they have available for download is a later version.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, the newer firmware should be both PAL/NTSC in the same version and during the activation screen it will let you choose which format that you want.

Since all video from the 5231 is digital, you should be able to run either format. I’m in the US and most of my cameras are set to PAL and run great.

FWIW, Dahua’s website can be many versions behind the versions Andy gets from Dahua and posts in his forum. Looks like the Dahua website build was from 2017. Andy’s got builds from 2019 in his forum.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks both. Will the camera reset to the default IP (192.168.1.108) and password after a firmware update or will it retain my subnet 192.168.0.x?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks both. Will the camera reset to the default IP (192.168.1.108) and password after a firmware update or will it retain my subnet 192.168.0.x?
It should retain all of your configs, including IP address. Export the settings first so you have a backup just in case. If you run into any issues post-upgrade, then the reset that does everything except the IP and accounts is recommended. I’ve only had to do that once in 30+ upgrades.

You should be able to get a good idea of any firmware stability/issues (if any) from the thread replies in Andy’s forum, so def read through those before upgrading. :)

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using the version below , I will look to see the download page, pretty sure it was from Andy.

V2.800.0000008.0.R, Build Date: 2019-06-19

WEB Version V3.2.1.749079

ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.3.651299)

Last edited:

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Completed the upgrade without any issues. I noticed that the new firmware has a facial recognition feature. Has anyone checked this out? Could it work with BI?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Completed the upgrade without any issues. I noticed that the new firmware has a facial recognition feature. Has anyone checked this out? Could it work with BI?
I only played around with it for a little bit but didn't see a way to directly use that with BI. You could always setup the camera to email the face pictures or save them on a SMB share, if you have one available.

deeuubee

n3wb
Reaction score
I updated the firmware on one of my four IPC-HDW5231RN-Z cameras and it went OK.
Is there a way to backup the old firmware before updating? I would like to keep it just in case.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just updated one of my 6 mo. old r-ze models from 10 to 13, 2 nights ago.. I had to do it twice for it to stick.
This cam is lazy slow and does not want to focus properly if I zoom it with Blue Iris using the ptz contols. Sometimes I have to log in directly to the cam. My other new r-ze works great.
pic is not quite as sharp either. It's less than a year old.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just updated one of my 6 mo. old r-ze models from 10 to 13, 2 nights ago.. I had to do it twice for it to stick.
This cam is lazy slow and does not want to focus properly if I zoom it with Blue Iris using the ptz contols. Sometimes I have to log in directly to the cam. My other new r-ze works great.
pic is not quite as sharp either. It's less than a year old.
This is a varifocal camera and not designed to zoom in. Its designed to allow you to adjust at the time of install. There is no need to use blue iris to zoom in at all.