Dahua IP Camera - Image partially focussed

IceK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Dahua IP camera sd65f233xa-hnr and the image is partially focussed. The focus is only within a 5cm square, beyond that the image is out of focus.
I have clicked the regional focus button but the focus remains only on part of the image.

Attachments

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The focus is only within a 5cm square, beyond that the image is out of focus.
I have a Dahua N41BL12-W with a very similar problem. The blurry areas are causing a lot of false motion events during low light (IR mode).

A total long shot here - does the configuration have an ROI (Region of Interest) set?
You genius! I just checked and found that ROI is turned on and the blurry areas are outside the selected regions.

I've disabled ROI; If this fixes the false motion events (will need to test) then expect a big hug from me.

- Thomas

Peter vB

n3wb
Reaction score
If only the ROI region is clear, that probably means you've set the quality of the total image too low.
If you disabled the ROI, then the whole picture should be blurry now (just like the outside of your attached images)?

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If only the ROI region is clear, that probably means you've set the quality of the total image too low.
If you disabled the ROI, then the whole picture should be blurry now (just like the outside of your attached images)?
Nope - if ROI is disabled, then the whole picture should be clear.

Most of us do not use ROI as it is a gimmick in most instances - the only time it is of benefit is if for some reason the camera insists on focusing on an area other than what you are trying to get.

I played with it a bit at one point and all it would do was blur areas outside of the ROI box, but the area in the ROI box was no clearer than with it disabled.

It probably serves a benefit if someone wants to blur out their neighbors windows instead of blacking them out.

Peter vB

n3wb
Reaction score
You can do both AJ.
If your normal image is of a lower quality and you set a square or rectangle in ROI with quality 6, then that area will be more clear than the rest.
If you have a clear image and you set a square or rectangle for example with quality 1, than it will blur that area.

I hadn't thought at all about the possibility of blurring though.
In the Netherlands we have strict rules about the privacy of our neighbours, so I was thinking about blocking their homes with black bars.
Blurring would do the same I think and it looks a lot better. So thanks for the tip :)

Last edited:

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't speak for the OP, but in my case the N41BL12-W's default image quality was set to 5 and ROI was 6. I normally don't see any difference between the 5 and 6 quality setting, but there was a substantial difference in image quality outside the ROI region.

I don't recall ever turning on ROI, but I could have done that long before the final installation. The camera was purchased from B&H as an open box item, so perhaps the prior user may have done it. Still my fault since I should have performed a factory reset before using it.

Disabling ROI has made the entire image look great. Even with default quality remaining at 5.

I was struggling with this camera because the areas outside the ROI seem to be affecting motion detection. These outside areas are very blocky, like encoding is set to a VERY low resolution.

During low light (IR) environments the blocky artifacts change at each frame interval and randomly trigger motion events. I can see these when watching the motion histogram monitor. And every 5-8 minutes there is a huge motion event in the histogram that corresponds to the overall image experiencing a momentary encoding "burp." These odd motion events forced me to minimize the motion detection area to a size that was mostly ineffective.

With ROI off the entire image looks much better. I am hoping it cures my motion issue too. I have to wait until tonight to check it out.

Most of us do not use ROI as it is a gimmick in most instances - the only time it is of benefit is if for some reason the camera insists on focusing on an area other than what you are trying to get.
It can also be used to reduce bandwidth by decreasing the resolution in areas that are not important (outside the ROI area).

Hopefully the OP finds that his ROI is enabled and is able to solve his complaint by turning it off.

- Thomas

IceK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't find the ROI settings in the camera, I have checked Select Setting > Camera > Video > ROI, according to the user manual and there is no ROI setting.
I remember when I first installed the camera the picture was perfect, I may have clicked the regional focus button, however, clicking it again makes no difference.
Is there a later firmware upgrade for this camera as the smart tracking is also not working ?
BTW, really appreciate the support and how quick the replies were..

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes a factory default reset can do wonders! and sometimes even just a reboot.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have checked Select Setting > Camera > Video > ROI, according to the user manual and there is no ROI setting.
That's too bad. Would have been an easy solution if simply turning off ROI is all it took.

Sometimes a factory default reset can do wonders!
Amen. Yesterday I disabled the ROI function on my misbehaving N41BL12-W. But to play it safe, I decided to perform a factory default reset and manually reconfigured the camera.

After reviewing the search logs this morning I'm happy to report that the false motion sense event problem is fixed. And this is with a much larger motion detect region, higher sensitivity, and lower threshold settings. I'll take the win!

- Thomas

IceK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reset didn't clear the problem.
Updated the firmware and ROI was enabled, disabled and problem resolved !!!
There were a few firmware files, in zip format with 3 bins files, instructions are not very good but managed to get the correct firmware in place and problem solved for the moment.
Now to test the smart tracking..

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be sure you updated with a firmware that includes autotracking. Not sure of that particular camera, but one of the PTZs Dahua removed autotracking with a newer firmware.

Make sure that you have selected IVS in the smart plan rules and a preset with IVS.

Add some screenshots of the relative pages from the camera GUI as that would help us troubleshoot.

IceK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There was ONE zip file SD65F233XA-HNR_Firmware_1610295450670 downloaded for my camera, that had the 3 zipfiles below and they aren't very informative.
1: DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000009.3.R.200331
2: General_SD60XXX-HN_MCU_Market_V2.401.0000000.48.R.190917
3: General_SD60XXX-HN_MCU_V2.401.0000000.64.R.200219

I have attached screenshots of the files within the zips. I only used the DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000009.3.R.200331.bin to upgrade my firmware, however there are many bin files within these zips...
When I check online tutorials, the menus appear different to what I have for smart tracking, so its a little confusing..

Attachments

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post some screenshots of the camera GUI setup - we will be able to tell fairly quickly if autotrack is in it and if so if it is set up correctly.

IceK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Attached screenshots, note that on IVS, presets have been added but do not appear in deep ivs

Attachments

Last edited:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It could be this my issues as well, with my wedge cam?! Hmm, I will have to check it out.
You have to setup an IVS event, to be able to see if auto tracking is present.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@IceK - try turning off Smart Motion Detection and then on the Deep IVS screen, you need to select intrusion box - draw a box around the area where you want to start tracking and select enters and appears and it should start working.

Is that the best angle you have - that tree takes up too much of the screen and any auto track camera will have trouble with tracking anything if that is the image being used to try to track.

IceK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI AJWitt

The scene is alot bigger than the tree. Tree is about 10% of the actual scene I want to have tracking in.
I disbaled the Smart Motion detection and i don't get the selection for the intrusion box, however in the rules I have added intrusion and trip wire as shown in the attachments.
Also, note that the selection options are different within SmartPSS and the web version

Attachments