Dahua cameras on google home (nest hub, max, Lenovo, ...)

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

Did anyone try this ?

This is basically linking imou (which is a great app) to google home. Then cameras can be seen on GH.

For me, it doesn't work.
I have my cameras in imou.
I made the link.
Camera names escalated to GH. I can ask it to show them, but it only displays a black screen.
I have emailed imou support but no answer.

Thank you

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I come back to this discussion.

I wanted to be able to see my cameras on google home screen (or if with a chromecast, the problem is the same).
Ideally say, hey google, show me camera x.

It is a little bit like being able to view the cameras on intercom screen (VTO&VTH), which we managed thanks to catcamstar:

Of course cameras I have are not those in google ecosystem, otherwise there would be no question.

First I tried with imou but either it doesn't work, either sometimes it does but only half of the time, or just for 5 seconds, etc.
I have tried reducing the camera FPS and resolution, but it didn't help. Or I didn't do it well. Anyway, not satisfactory.

I have a raspberry with a home automation system (domoticz), and I installed CATT (Cast All The Things).
Then by voice command (IFTTT) e.g. "show me my camera x", I manage to show a snapshot of that camera.

elseif command == 'cam' then
os.execute("catt cast_site " .. tonumber(get(deviceValue, 3)))

That works perfectly.

If I wanted the video, is there something not too complicated I can do ?

I have looked the combination:
  • ffmpeg to change rtsp to HLS on the pi (works)
  • Nginx (works)
  • stream site to GH (doesn't work with CATT, still some work to do)
Feasible, but I find it too heavy, will not be stable enough, and honestly not worth the effort and the CPU.

Or: links from API like http ... /mjpg/video.cgi?camera=[CHANNEL]
work on PC browser (though with ow resolution) but don't work with CATT (only a player appears).

I do not know if some people here have found a better solution to achieve this.

Thanks

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
sorry for answering so late, I just saw that thread
I was looking for the very same setup except, I was thinking of using that RPI with HA (Home Assistant).
If you did not yet find a solution, I'd try the HA.
If you did, I'd be more than happy if you'd share it.
I cannot test it for you because I'm few steps behind you: I do not have my ipcams yet.

djrobinsa

n3wb
Reaction score
works no problems on my side ... using 1x ranger ptz and 2 x wireless battery operated cams and the base station

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sorry for answering so late, I just saw that thread
I was looking for the very same setup except, I was thinking of using that RPI with HA (Home Assistant).
If you did not yet find a solution, I'd try the HA.
If you did, I'd be more than happy if you'd share it.
I cannot test it for you because I'm few steps behind you: I do not have my ipcams yet.
Hello !
I managed to make it work from IMOU (connect cameras to IMOU and IMOU to google home). Image is not always stable, but good enough.
Through RPI, I just managed to take a picture and show it on GH with a one line script using CATT, but not a stream.
Good luck

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How much does IMOU cost to use with the Dahua cameras?

rapid

n3wb
Reaction score
using motion configuration stream_port, i was able to get a stream going with catt.
actually works pretty good

something like

./catt -d 192.168.1.29 cast_site h ttp:/192.168.1.52:8082
Casting on "Kitchen display"...

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks,
I'm probably there as well except I cannot cast the video on TV:
Google Home is not yet supported on my area and LG TV dropped the service till Google's support in the area. stupid.
IMOU is installed and connected, Google home is connected to it and even the voice commands are working till the point when I'm asking to show one of the cams and I get:
"Sorry, I don't know where to play the video. Please tell me the exact name of the screen"
So looks like it's technically working.
I may end up buying Chromcast - for some money Google is always willing to bend it's rules.
But maybe it's just another reason why the right thing to do is to use HomeAssistant.

tonyhtsun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I come back to this discussion.

I wanted to be able to see my cameras on google home screen (or if with a chromecast, the problem is the same).
Ideally say, hey google, show me camera x.

It is a little bit like being able to view the cameras on intercom screen (VTO&VTH), which we managed thanks to catcamstar:

Of course cameras I have are not those in google ecosystem, otherwise there would be no question.

First I tried with imou but either it doesn't work, either sometimes it does but only half of the time, or just for 5 seconds, etc.
I have tried reducing the camera FPS and resolution, but it didn't help. Or I didn't do it well. Anyway, not satisfactory.

I have a raspberry with a home automation system (domoticz), and I installed CATT (Cast All The Things).
Then by voice command (IFTTT) e.g. "show me my camera x", I manage to show a snapshot of that camera.

elseif command == 'cam' then
os.execute("catt cast_site " .. tonumber(get(deviceValue, 3)))

That works perfectly.

If I wanted the video, is there something not too complicated I can do ?

I have looked the combination:
  • ffmpeg to change rtsp to HLS on the pi (works)
  • Nginx (works)
  • stream site to GH (doesn't work with CATT, still some work to do)
Feasible, but I find it too heavy, will not be stable enough, and honestly not worth the effort and the CPU.

Or: links from API like http ... /mjpg/video.cgi?camera=[CHANNEL]
work on PC browser (though with ow resolution) but don't work with CATT (only a player appears).

I do not know if some people here have found a better solution to achieve this.

Thanks
Hi, I would like to share my experience. I have the same setup as yours using imou and other cameras with NVR. What I discovered was GH is picking up the substream of the cameras instead of the mainstream. So you will need to lower the resolution and frame rate on substream. It works for me. However I still couldn't make other two wireless cameras working .

tonyhtsun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello !
I managed to make it work from IMOU (connect cameras to IMOU and IMOU to google home). Image is not always stable, but good enough.
Through RPI, I just managed to take a picture and show it on GH with a one line script using CATT, but not a stream.
Good luck
Hi Gleneroo,
Not sure if you have managed to fix the issue with IMOU image not stable. In my case, I found that GH will pick up only the substream from the IMOU cameras, so you may want to lower the resolution and frame rate from your camera's substream instead of main stream. I did mine and since then the video stream are quite stable. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Hi Gleneroo,
Not sure if you have managed to fix the issue with IMOU image not stable. In my case, I found that GH will pick up only the substream from the IMOU cameras, so you may want to lower the resolution and frame rate from your camera's substream instead of main stream. I did mine and since then the video stream are quite stable. Hope it helps.
Hi Tony,

Apologies for the question, but how/what do I use to lower the resolution and frame rate from the camera's substream? I am not able to access any gui from the ip address and the app doesn't seem to give me that option.

David512

n3wb
Reaction score
You can use Scyrypted to achieve this. Cameras can be viewed in Apple HomeKit, Alexa and google home for free. If you have a Rasberry Pi laying around you can run it off that