Dahua/Axis - Not showing Channel/Time Overlays

Gigaleech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, not new here but first post!

I just swapped an outdated Exacquvision/IVT system for a 32 channel Dahua NVR.

All is well other than none of the Channel names or dates are showing. See Photo
Capture56.PNG

I have the expected settings..
1613617221826.png

But I cannot save these settings, nor alter their settings, after the boxes are checked.

I have tried through the NVR interface and SmartPSS software. None have had any change whatsoever.
I have even tried using the web interface of the camera, but it adds it above/below the image, not as an overlay, and thus the NVR doesn't display it.
1613617133505.png

Have never had this issue with the 50+ Dahua systems we manage.
I am starting to think Axis doesn't play nice..

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an Axis came set to ONVIF to my Dahua NVR.
Axis Cam gets time from the NVR.
Title from Axis to Dahua is separate. On the Axis cam it is <Name> <date> <Time> <Family name>. On the NVR it is <Name> .
They don't get a name from each other. The camera is just spitting a video feed and the NVR records it. Same goes for motion events, using the NVRs processor your limited to basic motion. On a Dahua camera you'll get line crossing, etc.

not as an overlay, and thus the NVR doesn't display it.
NVR doesn't do any overlays here. Overlays is done by the camera. Which means each camera should get the correct time and date.

Gigaleech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Mark!

That makes some sense, but the camera overlay is turned on, but the camera doesn't shownit on the image, but below it.

I will try the onvif idea today, not sure why I didn't think of trying that l.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you Mark!

That makes some sense, but the camera overlay is turned on, but the camera doesn't shownit on the image, but below it.

I will try the onvif idea today, not sure why I didn't think of trying that l.
I found that if I set the NVR manufacture to "Axis" that it wanted to take full control.
It wouldn't accept anything but the admin "root" login.

Spaces in the overlay would be removed because the NVR wouldn't accept them. So a title with "%h:%m:%s Entrance" would not be accepted because of the space.
Annoyingly, the NVR would name the channel as this string "%h:%m:%s" which is not helpful. Especially if you have more Axis cameras.

So under ONVIF, the camera has an operator login for the NVR. Time, Date and camera name is done within it's overlay settings.
I have <date> <time> <'Entrance'> in Axis, The NVR just records the ONVIF stream and labels the channel "Entrance"

---
Main annoyance I also had to my access on a Dahua NVR was getting video quality right. I would often get a 'mosaic shimmer'. Like a shadow would take 3 seconds to move over an area which was digital artefacts looking like motion blur. Compression artefacts I think.

I can't remember the settings right now, once I get home I could share the recording settings I use. I anticipate some other people might suggest something better for me too!