Dahua Auto-Tracking? SD49425XB-HNR

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, Want to see if I can get a few pointers here. I've looked around trying to figure out how to setup the auto-tracking feature on this camera I bought on ebay:

Bought it thinking because it had AI with tripwire and intrusion, that I can setup auto-tracking with it. After digging around, it looks like I need IVS for auto-tracking? And if yes, is there any way I can get auto-tracking (for the camera to track, and zoom in a bit so the recording actually shows the face or license plate to be useful) without having IVS?

Thanks in advance. I might have bitten off more than what I can chew with this one. Much appreciate it!

ps. the camera is great though. Easy to setup, with POE. PTZ is responsive. Recording is miles ahead of Ring, Nest or any other security cam I have tried.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why would you not want IVS set up? Keeps it from tracking leaves and other things. That is the only sure way to get it to track the way you want it to.

Also keep in mind that Dahua quit supplying that camera with autotrack, so you may have bought it from a vendor that didn't have autotrack and that is why you are not seeing it...looking at your link quickly it appears that is the case as it doesn't show autotrack as a feature....

If so return it and purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY a member here who has the autotrack version.

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
Auto-tracking is definitely what I'm shooting. From what you said, it seems like I'm SOOL on this one. And I have to get a camera with IVS?
Would you be able to recommend one with good night vision? Would be nice if I can get to see license plate at night too.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the one you want from @EMPIRETECANDY - Amazon.com: Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Auto Tracking Support PoE+ English Version: Electronics

IVS and autotrack are two different things. Almost every Dahua camera has IVS. And do not chase megapixels. Unless you have a ton of ambient light at night, the 2MP will outperform the 4MP.

But keep in mind that a camera to get plates is a dedicated camera doing just that. You have to run an extremely fast shutter (1/2000) and at night the screen will be completely black except for head/tail lights and the plate.

A PTZ is not that camera. You would want a separate camera for that.

That doesn't mean under certain conditions you wouldn't be able to read a plate - if the car is coming straight at or away from the camera you might get some, but at night it will not be a high percentage.

So you need to decide do you want autotrack or plates - if it is both, then you need another camera for plate duty. This is the go to camera most here use for plate duty....but keep in mind this doesn't log the actual plate, but gives you the zoom and capability to be able to read the plate:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I had read the best result would be from a cam dedicated to license plate, but was hoping that I could get one camera that can do good enough job so I don't need two cam setup. This is not for commercial/industrial use, it's for myself where I simply want to be able to get a better picture of the "person" and "vehicle" in case something happens and I can give relevant info to the authority.

But it looks like I might just do that to get a peace of mind.

Thanks again, you are awesome!

BTW, I'm assuming loryta is just a made-up name because these are OEM camera that doesn't carry the actual Dahua name? But it still uses the same Dahua firmware and UI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, for best results it should be two cams. I occasionally get plates on mine (more during the day) and a lot less at night. And when would you generally want the plate - at night! If you happen to be right at an intersection with a stop sign you may get more plates, but other than that you should expect needing two cams.

Yes, the Loryta is the name for the OEM Dahua that @EMPIRETECANDY sells. It is still Dahua in every way - and actually a lot of his cams are better firmware than what is on the Dahua cams as he spends a lot of time with members here getting tweaks and suggestions made and relaying that to the Dahua engineers and Dahua will provide him with firmware based on those comments, yet they do not roll it out themselves. Smart IR improvements is a recent update to the firmware on the 5442 series of cameras that are not on the Dahua cam.

And you never know - at least two of my cams that I bought from him, including this PTZ, came in a Dahua box with the Dahua logo on the camera.

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, for best results it should be two cams. I occasionally get plates on mine (more during the day) and a lot less at night. And when would you generally want the plate - at night! If you happen to be right at an intersection with a stop sign you may get more plates, but other than that you should expect needing two cams.

Yes, the Loryta is the name for the OEM Dahua that @EMPIRETECANDY sells. It is still Dahua in every way - and actually a lot of his cams are better firmware than what is on the Dahua cams as he spends a lot of time with members here getting tweaks and suggestions made and relaying that to the Dahua engineers and Dahua will provide him with firmware based on those comments, yet they do not roll it out themselves.

And you never know - at least two of my cams that I bought from him, including this PTZ, came in a Dahua box with the Dahua logo on the camera.
Wow, you are awesome. Thanks a lot! I have started the return process and is about to order the cam you recommended. Going to get the auto-tracking cam up and running first, then move on to the license cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, give this one a try first and see if it works and gets you plates. Like I said, I can get them in the day time (my camera is perpendicular to the road), so once the car is like 400 feet away from my house and the angle is more straight on to/from I start to get them. At night it is a little more difficult. But it is based on your location. One member here has a PTZ set up near a stop sign into his subdivision onto a main road, so they pretty much have to stop and he is able to get a high amount of plates with the PTZ, but he runs the Z12 as well just for plates.

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
So the ebay seller is trying to offer me a firmware that has the auto-tracking feature. However, they said with that particular firmware (Dahua discontinued the use of it), I would lose the ability to upgrade to new firmware in the future.

What is your opinion on this? I'm a bit inclined to buy from Andy because of all the good feedbacks I see on this forum, but at the same time, I kind of don't want to deal with the return (to China).

Has Andy offered any firmware update in the past with significant improvement to the camera?

Again, thanks again for any feedback!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So a general rule of thumb around here is if the camera is working for your situation, then do not update the firmware - the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Many times, an update adds something you were not using or needed, and then breaks something that you were using.

Some of my cameras from Andy I have upgraded as the firmware offered an improvement I was wanting, and some of my cameras are operating fine so I didn't want to mess with it.

I haven't touched the firmware on my PTZ as it is working as intended, but I do believe he has offered additional firmware for it.

How much light at night do you have - you currently have the 4MP version and a 4MP needs at least twice the amount of light as a 2MP at night. The sensor size is the same in each camera, but when you spread the "screen" of 4MP worth of pixel holes across the same sensor, it now has double the holes, but also double the "screen material" than the 2MP. Kind of hard to explain, but trying to use a window screen as an analogy. Take a window where the opening is fixed - that is the sensor - now add a screen with double the holes and it will be darker looking through it because there is more screen material.

So if you have no street lights, neighbors do not turn their outside lights on, etc., then the 4MP will struggle at night.

But you have the camera, so maybe try the firmware and see what you think at night.

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
How much light at night do you have - you currently have the 4MP version and a 4MP needs at least twice the amount of light as a 2MP at night. The sensor size is the same in each camera, but when you spread the "screen" of 4MP worth of pixel holes across the same sensor, it now has double the holes, but also double the "screen material" than the 2MP. Kind of hard to explain, but trying to use a window screen as an analogy. Take a window where the opening is fixed - that is the sensor - now add a screen with double the holes and it will be darker looking through it because there is more screen material.
Bro, this is the best explanation I have read so far!! Thanks man.

I'm having a hard time understanding the correlation between Sensitivity & Threshold (Area setting under Motion Detection inside Video Detection). Sensitivity is straight forward enough, but is Threshold similar to standard deviation? Meaning, if my Sens is at 50, it would not go 5 OVER (55 Sensitivity)?

And the graph thing. If I mark an area with red stripes, is that the area camera will detect motion? Or vice versa? Attached is my example. Much appreciated

I want to get rid of false positive caused by blowing leaves and moving shadows...etc. And the pesky moth at night......
area sensitivity.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad the explanation helped!

Get out of that area LOL. All that will do is frustrate the you know what out of you.

Do these steps:
  1. Create a preset
  2. Turn off Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection
  3. Create Smart Plan and add Deep IVS plan for the preset
  4. Go to Deep IVS and create a rule. I would suggest an intrusion box outlining the area you want coverage. Select appears and crosses for the box
  5. Go to the boxes that says human and vehicles and check those.
  6. Do not put a min size in the settings to the left.
  7. Set the tracking time for the length of time you want it to track.
BOOM. BAM. DONE. Now the AI of the PTZ will only track humans and vehicles and not shadows and leaves...

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad the explanation helped!

Get out of that area LOL. All that will do is frustrate the you know what out of you.

Do these steps:
  1. Create a preset
  2. Turn off Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection
  3. Create Smart Plan and add Deep IVS plan for the preset
  4. Go to Deep IVS and create a rule. I would suggest an intrusion box outlining the area you want coverage. Select appears and crosses for the box
  5. Go to the boxes that says human and vehicles and check those.
  6. Do not put a min size in the settings to the left.
  7. Set the tracking time for the length of time you want it to track.
BOOM. BAM. DONE. Now the AI of the PTZ will only track humans and vehicles and not shadows and leaves...
OMSFJ (Oh My Sweet Flowering Jesus), you are a godsend. :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: I kind of wanted to go that route by disabling Motion Detection (but keep Smart Motion Detection). But when I unchecked Motion Detection, it gave a warning that SMD will also be disabled.

I'm going to give this a try right now!! Thanks again.

istyle0978

n3wb
Reaction score
So far, I think the setup you had recommended is exactly what I wanted. I'll let it run overnight to see how well it works.

I never knew we had that much moth or flying insect around our house, since it gets pretty windy here at night. But I'll be the first to admit I won't miss seeing them on the recording. Thanks.

BTW, I had left the Max Size (max) and Minimum Size (0 x 0) per your recommendation, but what is Tracking Target Size Ratio? I never figured out what that is.

On a side note, I find Intrusion more useful than Tripwire. Since Intrusion offers the same and more. Or are there more things I should consider?

Shoot me a PM man, I want to ship you something for helping out bro.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will be pleased with this PTZ!

Tracking Target Size Ratio is how large do you want the object to be in the frame when it is tracking. You want it large enough to get details, but too large and the camera will have trouble tracking it because if they speed up and move outside the frame, it loses the track. Looking at your field of view (FOV), I would suggest trying 45 at first and then going up or down from there based on how the PTZ behaves.

Intrusion and Tripwire are two different methods. I have found intrusion to be the best in most situations, but there are times to do a tripwire. For example, if you don't want to track you pulling out of your driveway and only cars pulling into the driveway, you would set up a tripwire with it only triggering heading towards the house and not away. Other than that, both can do the same thing, but the intrusion tends to provide a better chance at being triggered in most situations.

Reaction score
So far, I think the setup you had recommended is exactly what I wanted. I'll let it run overnight to see how well it works.

I never knew we had that much moth or flying insect around our house, since it gets pretty windy here at night. But I'll be the first to admit I won't miss seeing them on the recording. Thanks.

BTW, I had left the Max Size (max) and Minimum Size (0 x 0) per your recommendation, but what is Tracking Target Size Ratio? I never figured out what that is.

On a side note, I find Intrusion more useful than Tripwire. Since Intrusion offers the same and more. Or are there more things I should consider?

Shoot me a PM man, I want to ship you something for helping out bro.
and as I recently learned a couple days ago...use IE with the dahua plugin to log into the camera GUI! Chrome, Pale Moon show less. Did not try Firefox though..hmm...

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Auto-tracking is definitely what I'm shooting. From what you said, it seems like I'm SOOL on this one. And I have to get a camera with IVS?
Would you be able to recommend one with good night vision? Would be nice if I can get to see license plate at night too.
I spoke to Andy last night and ordered the Loryta SD49425XB-HNR . He said it would come with Auto Tracking as well as IVS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Firmware from March 2020 +-

If you purchased within the past year from anyone other than Andy , then it doesn't come with autotrack anymore.

If you can return, you can then purchase from Andy as he still has units with autotrack.