Dahua and ubuntu

QQlis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, our company works with dahua ip cameras. One of my colleague asked me to enable IP camera stream on ubuntu 16.04. If I try to enable thru a web page chrome/firefox, browser ask for plugin and if I click to download, web browser throws an error, it can't be reach...
Any ideas how to enable stream on ubuntu web browser or soft?

QQlis

n3wb
Reaction score
SeaMonkey still needs plugin to install if I log into a camera. If I click to download it it shows 404 error. There is no plugin for linux on a camera.

Last edited:

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I also would be interested in getting it to work on Ubuntu and alike,
What plugin is needed here?

Thanks,
INT

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can load the rtsp stream directly in a number of programs including VLC.

Code:
rtsp:/<username>:<password>@<ip>:<port>/cam/realmonitor?channel=<ChannelNo>&subtype=<typeNo>
Get real-time media stream.
We request the extra stream 1 of channel 1, the URL is:
rtsp:/admin:admin@10.7.6.67:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Success Return media stream data
<username>: a valid user’s username.
<password>: user’s password.
< ip>: the IP address of the video product.
<port >: the default port is 554. It can be omitted.
<ChannelNo>: integer, the video channel index which starts from 1.
<typeNo>: the stream type. The <typeNo> of main stream is 0, extra stream 1 is 1, extra stream 2 is 2.
The extra stream counts can be obtained in GetMaxExtraStreamCounts. If the stream does not exist or not enabled, response will be error.
The IP Camera supports both TCP and UDP transmission forms.
It also supplies basic authentication and digest authentication ways.
The chrome NACL app may work under linux. (you have to launch the app to use it)

As for other software that will work under linux, one option is: veyesys | Video Management Platform

QQlis

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks tangent it did work for me... Why didn't I think about it :) I knew vlc can play back stream...
There is no PTZ but still better then nothing :)
I'll try veyesys too.

Last edited:

QQlis

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh NACL forks fine :) I can use PTZ functions too.. Nice

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Old thread I know, but I couldn't get playback to work on my Dahua camera from Ubuntu using SeaMonkey (or Chrome or Firefox). Interestingly it didn't even work from MS Edge when I tried on a Windows box. The only thing that worked was good ol IE. Yikes.

Has anyone happen to have found a way to look at the camera archive playback from a Dahua camera from Ubuntu?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I just tried looking at cameras with Firefox 68.0.1 on Mint Cinnamon.

For real-time viewing, both the 5442T-ZE and 5231R-ZE worked. The aspect ratio is off unless the window size is manually adjusted.

For playback, both worked in a degraded fashion, typical for anything but IE with the plugin. When doing playback, some of the video controls are missing, namely playback speed and single frame advance. With the 5442, it quits playing after a few seconds saying the the quality is degraded and I should download the clip. I did not try downloading. The cameras do not have the very latest firmware. Just a quick spot-check, I did not run it for an extended time period.

wudwork

n3wb
Reaction score
I am viewing Dahua 5231R cameras perfectly in Chrome. Goto bottom of this page and install the "ie-tab" plugin. It simulates a tab in Chrome to act like ie v9 so ActiveX is tricked ??? Who cares how, it works !

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting about the IE-Tab Chrome extension. When I try to use it though it wants to charge me $6/month for up to 10 hours of use or $10/month for "unlimited" that it then explains isn't actually unlimited:

Not you?

And I have access to three different models of Dahua cameras, the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E, the IPC-HFW7442H-Z and the SD49225T-HN, and interestingly each behaves a bit differently from browser to browser and from camera to camera. Some tests below, all in Linux Mint 20, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Pasting the firmware details for each camera in at the end.

And it's important to note that there doesn't appear to be any way to view the camera archives from Ubuntu for the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E or IPC-HFW7442H-Z, that I've found at least. Very open to suggestions though.

SD49225T-HN

Chrome without a plugin doesn't work for anything (no live view, no archive viewing).

Chrome with the NACL app/plugin works for both live and archive viewing!

Firefox and Seamonkey prompt me to install a plugin, and when I try to install it, it tries to download a file from the camera (192.168.5.5/webplugin.tar.bz2) but returns a file not found (404) error. Silly.

IPC-HFW7442H-Z (similar to the Z12E but with laughably crappy built-in ALPR)

Chrome without a plugin works for live viewing but not archive viewing.

Chrome with the NACL app won't let me log in. It shows the error "Failed to load the plugin!" after I enter my credentials.

Firefox and Seamonkey work for live viewing but not for archive viewing.

IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

Chrome without a plugin works for live viewing but not for archive viewing.

Chrome with the NACL app lets me log in and works for live viewing but not for archive viewing.

Firefox and Seamonkey work for live viewing but not for archive viewing.

Firmware details for each camera pasted in from Information -> Version:

Firmware details for IPC-HFW7442H-Z
System Version: V2.800.0000000.5.R, Build Date: 2020-05-25
WEB Version: V3.2.1.897501
ONVIF Version: 18.12(V2.4.5.826858)
Algorithm Version: 4.0.7
Security Baseline Version: V2.1

Firmware details for IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E:
System Version: V2.800.0000010.0.R, Build Date: 2019-08-07
WEB Version: V3.2.1.766334
ONVIF Version: 16.12(V2.4.3.651299)
Security Baseline Version: V1.4

Firmware details for SD49225T-HN
System Version: 2.622.0000000.7.R.R4.2510.9A.NR, Build Date: 2018-04-04
WEB Version: 3.2.1.563437
ONVIF Version: 16.12(V2.4.1.513183)

Last edited:

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Aha, that makes sense, thanks for that. And guessing use of the IE tab extension in Chrome for Windows is free?

wudwork

n3wb
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned cost for ie-tab pluggin; today is my 5th day using it and no cost issues have popped up or otherwise indicated.

Aha, that makes sense, thanks for that. And guessing use of the IE tab extension in Chrome for Windows is free?

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned cost for ie-tab pluggin; today is my 5th day using it and no cost issues have popped up or otherwise indicated.
Are you using it from windows or linux/mac? I think the windows version is free, the others are severely time limited and pricey.