Dahua 8MP cameras not displaying in main stream unless set to 1080

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a system with PTZ SD49425XB, 4MP HDW2431TM and 8MP HDW2831TM cameras using a NVR5216-16P-I NVR. For some reason, the 8MP cameras will only display in the main stream if set to lower than 8MP resolution. The camera is definitely connecting to the NVR and ethernet connection icon is displayed on the black screen. The sub stream does display video even when the main stream is set to 8MP (I believe the 16ch view uses the sub stream). The SD49425XB and HDW2431TM cameras work perfectly. I'm only using 6 out of the 16 channels right now and there's a ton of bandwidth left on the NVR (the NVR has 320Mbps capacity). The cameras work fine on other NVRs, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the cameras. Could this be an issue with settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to the 320Mbps, there are other "restrictions" to make sure you are not overloading, one of them being FPS:

Decoding Capability4-ch@8MP (30fps), 16-ch@1080P (30fps)
Multi-screen Display1/4/8/9/16
Recording
Bandwidth320 Mbps (160 Mbps when AI function enabled)

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
I even tried just three 4MP cameras (set at 4MP) and one 8MP camera (set at 8MP) with them all set at 15fps. Still not working. I'm sure I must be missing something.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you're saying the main stream... your monitor connected to the NVR? Need to have sub-stream 2 set up to display on the monitor. Which I think you've done.
You're getting a black screen when viewing just 4 cameras on the monitor? Or when trying to view 8 or 9 on the monitor?

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
When I'm trying to view four cameras on the monitor (three 4MP and one 8MP), one of the four is black (the 8MP), but has the small ethernet connection icon displayed in the corner of the black screen. If I view 16 channels at once, the video from 8MP camera is shown along with the other three cameras which leads me to believe that, when displaying 16 channels at once, the NVR is using the low resolution sub stream when in the 16ch view. Even if I view just the single 8MP camera on the screen, it's black unless I lower the resolution. All other cameras work fine in all split screen types 1/4/8/9/16.
Ugh, I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just for giggles, under camera list, double left click on each camera and see what it says. TCP Port, manufacturer, etc..
I had this problem with one of mine on my old NVR, it showed black screen exactly you described.. I think I had it set to ONVIF when it was doing that and I changed it to private, or vice versa... along with the TCP Port.
One way was with 35000 and the other was 37777.. if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking it's a setting in there. Manufacturer set wrong, TCP Port wrong, or a combination.
Could also try re-typing te username and password then connect again as well.

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
Just for giggles, under camera list, double left click on each camera and see what it says. TCP Port, manufacturer, etc..
I had this problem with one of mine on my old NVR, it showed black screen exactly you described.. I think I had it set to ONVIF when it was doing that and I changed it to private, or vice versa... along with the TCP Port.
One way was with 35000 and the other was 37777.. if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking it's a setting in there. Manufacturer set wrong, TCP Port wrong, or a combination.
Could also try re-typing te username and password then connect again as well.
I checked and all the cameras had the same info listed, but thanks for the suggestion!

So I changed the compression to H.265 and that worked. I don't use H.265 normally, but that did the trick - no idea why though.