Coyote

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Captured the local coyote with Dahua SD59225U. External IR lighting was also used. BTW, I live in the most densely populated county in Florida, so if they are here, they can be anywhere.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Near me it's cats, little dog, rats, racoons, mountain beavers, moles, etc
Here's two coyotes with meals in their mouth.
You tell me what kinda critter they have...

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have seen the coyotes come through a number of times. Lots of stray cats around here until Wiley Coyote shows up. They seem to disappear, then the coyote moves on, then new cats show up, etc. They do not reduce the packs of raccoons, they must be afraid of them like everything else. I have to trap the raccoons, they are rampant, damn mean, and rabid.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
In the two video captures I posted above of coyotes with prey in their mouth, I think one is a cat, and the other may be a small 'coon? Or squirrel, judging by the size of the tail

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Had one here in SoCal the other night as well. Neighbor has chickens and until he figured out they needed to be enclosed, we had a very busy fast food walk up window.

upload_2017-12-14_16-45-5.png

stevejay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In neighborhoods with houses built in the 50s and 60s, miles within city limits, and where coyotes were never glimpsed until recently, it's the coyotes who are encroaching human habitat, not the other way around. Eventually, attempting to coexist with a wild predatory animal roaming in your midst goes beyond dead pets. Coyotes select victims based on size/weight appraisal and small children fall within those parameters. Recently here in SoCal, a coyote walked into a residential garage in mid-day, grabbed a two-year old girl by the neck and tried to drag her away. Early settlers to the west knew this and unsentimentally shot them dead on sight. My dad always kept a CO2 rifle with substantial muzzle velocity loaded with hollow lead pellets that flatten on impact instead of penetrating. Very quiet in the dead of night, too, so no complaints. After a while, he was rarely required to use it. Coyotes, it turns out, are smart enough to associate severe pain with a specific back yard and then tend to avoid it.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Coyote is back and brought his friends. Note video at start, you can see a Rat run down the drive w/ Coyotes in chase. They are looking for an appetizer. This is a Dahua 2Mp Starlight turret, with a supplemental 4 LED IR light illuminating end of drive. There has been some lost resolution when uploaded to Youtube, so the Dahua actually looks better. Makes me want to think twice about a night stroll.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Coyote is back and brought his friends. Note video at start, you can see a Rat run down the drive w/ Coyotes in chase. They are looking for an appetizer. This is a Dahua 2Mp Starlight turret, with a supplemental 4 LED IR light illuminating end of drive. There has been some lost resolution when uploaded to Youtube, so the Dahua actually looks better. Makes me want to think twice about a night stroll.

Carry something like this with you, typically they are easily spooked.
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety-Products-FSB1-Sonic/dp/B06XBZGZB4/ref=sr_1_10?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1520533091&sr=1-10&keywords=air+horn

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The coyotes are stopping by about every 2 weeks now. Note that there are 2 of them in the street and 1 circles around the drive to flush anything out.