Could someone explain why it does not matter PAL vs NTSC?

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First forgive me if I have the order mixed up (NTSC).

I have heard a few here say that it does not matter on a Network Camera if it is PAL or NTSC format. And I can just almost get my brain to understand. Maybe its cause I am an old man and have always known that a PAL camera would not work on a NTSC ANALOG system. Has to do with 50 versus 60 cycle power and the number of scan lines. So somehow this is not true of digital cameras?

I am an electronics guy with an advance Amateur Radio Lic so I can handle some tech talk. But I am not a video guy and just cant get my head around this talk about PAL cameras or NTSC, both working on our security systems. Would someone be so kind as to confirm and explain this to me.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First forgive me if I have the order mixed up (NTSC).

I have heard a few here say that it does not matter on a Network Camera if it is PAL or NTSC format. And I can just almost get my brain to understand. Maybe its cause I am an old man and have always known that a PAL camera would not work on a NTSC ANALOG system. Has to do with 50 versus 60 cycle power and the number of scan lines. So somehow this is not true of digital cameras?

I am an electronics guy with an advance Amateur Radio Lic so I can handle some tech talk. But I am not a video guy and just cant get my head around this talk about PAL cameras or NTSC, both working on our security systems. Would someone be so kind as to confirm and explain this to me.

Thanks
Hi Paulx,

As we are now talking about IP cameras, the analog standards associated with PAL and NTSC do not really matter. The only possible difference it may make is fps, which may not really be an issue as for many situations, depending on the IP camera, the camera may only be set to record less fps than either the PAL or NTSC standard specifies.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
When a video camera is trying to display 50 lines per second on a screen that's refreshing 60 times per second then you get horrible rolling distortion. The two big differences now are in the resolution for the subchannel which is slightly better on a pal camera and the multiplier for exposure time, which is a multiple of 25 on pal systems and 30 on ntsc systems. So basically a win for PAL on subchannel resolution because PAL TVs had a slightly sharper picture and call it a draw on exposure time. Sometimes 1/25 at night will give you a slightly better picture in the dark (on stationary objects) but you will lose a slight bit to an ntsc system at 1/30 because of slightly more blur on moving objects. Basically a slight win for NTSC IMHO because unless the pic is grainy as hell you want less blur on moving subjects. Nobody gives a damn how good the grass looks on the screen when someone is stealing your mountain bike.

PAL vs NTSC means nothing any more as far as power goes either. IP cams use DC power so Hz doesn't enter the equation. Everything is universal like it should be.

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mat200 and Kawboy12R

Thank you both for taking a minute to answer my question. Feeling better now that I have heard from you both about an order I made for an IPC-HFW4231E-SE. Yes Mat there is a lot of info to be digested here on this site. I wish I had found it before I bought my first camera. It was a Foscam FI9803 and it crapped out before I got done doing some bench test. If I had been here first then I would not have touched that dang thing. Dahua from now on. Thanks guys for the info.