Core 2 Duo died, rate these replacements

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

My ancient Core 2 Duo finally died. Now I'm in the market for a replacement to get my cameras back up and running. I have done a ton of research on the forums and wiki page this past week. Now Id like opinions so I dont get ripped off.

I use Blue Iris with motion detection. I had it setup perfectly so I dont believe I need to go with 24/7 recording.

I have found these listings, if you know of something better around this price range please let me know.

HP PRODESK 400 G1 MT HP INTEL CORE I7-4790 3.60GHZ 8 GB RAM 500GB HDD WIN 10 | eBay

Hp Prodesk 600 G1,i7-4790, 3.6 GHz, 1TBB HDD, 16 GB RAM, DVD-Multi USB 3.0, HDMI | eBay

Second listing seems pretty decent and somewhat future proof, but what do I know?

Thanks,

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

My ancient Core 2 Duo finally died. Now I'm in the market for a replacement to get my cameras back up and running. I have done a ton of research on the forums and wiki page this past week. Now Id like opinions so I dont get ripped off.

I use Blue Iris with motion detection. I had it setup perfectly so I dont believe I need to go with 24/7 recording.

I have found these listings, if you know of something better around this price range please let me know.

HP PRODESK 400 G1 MT HP INTEL CORE I7-4790 3.60GHZ 8 GB RAM 500GB HDD WIN 10 | eBay

Hp Prodesk 600 G1,i7-4790, 3.6 GHz, 1TBB HDD, 16 GB RAM, DVD-Multi USB 3.0, HDMI | eBay

Second listing seems pretty decent and somewhat future proof, but what do I know?

Thanks,
The pricing is high...they should be at 200 including shipping. Also note with respect to future proofing, those systems will not be able to handle intel h.265 decoding since you need intel 6th gen for that (its currently not working properly in BI, but will eventually get resolved. You can find i5-6500 based systems for under 200 including shipping.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, glad I asked! I've been scouring Ebay for a i5-6500 unit but cant find any under the $200 shipped. Can you show me an example?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually made a $170 offer when it was originally priced $189 on that unit and it was declined.Screenshot_20180923-130739_eBay.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That was a different unit with 8gb ram and a larger drive. Regardless these come up all the time..paid 185 or so for an elitedesk with 8gb a few months back..
Yeah I thought giving reason and using the other unit as an example ($199+$30ship) they'd bite but I guess not.

I'll keep an eye out, I just wanted to make sure I was looking in to right place for the right product.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Make a note of your license key code. Deactivate BI on the old PC. Do a clean install of Winduhhs and BI on the new machine. Enter the key code into BI and you're good to go.

You should also backup your BI settings and that file can be used, imported into the new install, to configure BI on the new install to duplicate all your current setting

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make a note of your license key code. Deactivate BI on the old PC. Do a clean install of Winduhhs and BI on the new machine. Enter the key code into BI and you're good to go.

You should also backup your BI settings and that file can be used, imported into the new install, to configure BI on the new install to duplicate all your current setting
Reinstalling Windows, I'm just simply going to reset this PC under system settings correct? I believe I read windows 10 is tied to the PC already so no Windows key is needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reinstalling Windows, I'm just simply going to reset this PC under system settings correct? I believe I read windows 10 is tied to the PC already so no Windows key is needed.

No. Download the MS media creation tool. You dont need a key once windows 10 was activated on that system at some time.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I should have said BI license key code. A fresh install on Winduhhs is simply "good practice" and can be done with the Media Creation tool as Fenderman said. The Winduhhs license is "bound" to the machine and will activate with no problem.