Continuous video recording stored in varying file sizes?

OldBobcat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI has started giving me random file sizes for stored videos from continuous recording. I haven't changed anything in the configuration. Some files are as short as a few seconds. Few, if any, are hours long as they used to be. Thanks for any thoughts as to what has happened and what to do to correct it?

OldBobcat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I think I've got it figured out. Needed to free up some space on my system drive.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer and read.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD, multiple constant writes will kill an SSD.
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder. The New folder must be on an internal drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.

OldBobcat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer and read.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD, multiple constant writes will kill an SSD.
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder. The New folder must be on an internal drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
Appreciate these tips.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Advanced storage:
Would you recommend the 1024K for a drive that is also saving alerts and snapshots and some recording based on triggers? I am adding a drive to my system and will be all for BI, but some of the cameras will be continuous while others are based on triggers, and getting snapshots for the LPR cam.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on the size of the files. As the smallest file will use 1 MB of space. If you have a lot of small files then use a smaller cluster size. Look at your current file sizes. A bigger cluster size, reduces fragmentation and increase read and write speeds, decreases the number of writes and reads. But if you have a lot of small files it wastes space using a large cluster.